VMware Cloud Community
mfratto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No console access and SSH disabled after installation of ESX 3.5

So just installed ESX 3i, 3.5.0, 7113 on some new Dell PowerEdge 2950's.

However, I can't get access to the CLI through the console (keyboard/mouse) by pressing alt-F1. I get what appears to be a log dump, but no login prompt.

SSH is also disabled. I know this because when I try to ssh to the ESX server, I get a TCP reset in return. Doesn't matter if I am on the local network or not.

TIA.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Was this a 3.5 install or a 3i install, if it was 3i like was said there isn't a service console anymore. However if you are looking for the features of 3.5 you can install the normal 3.5 which still has a service console. It is build 64607 and then there are a number of patches January 17th that should also be applied.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
sthoppay_wipro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Use VI Client to connect to the server using root.

0 Kudos
mfratto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And do what? I went through every option through VI Client and there is no way that I saw to enable either console access or ssh. I could be missing something.

I need to get to the linux OS to solve another problem.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Remote SSH is always disabled by default, you need to edit the sshd_config to enable it. If you are at the physical console try pressing Alt-F11 or Alt-F6 to get to the emergency console.

Eric Siebert

VMware Communities User Moderator

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
mfratto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the information Eric, but that didn't work either.

When I press Alt-F11, I get a banner screen and that is it. No login prompt.

Alt-F6 does nothing.

I may have to boot to a linux recovery disk, mount the partition, and do the edits by hand.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd try shutting down your VM's and then rebooting the server through the VI Client and see if the console works afterwards. Sounds like something might just be hung up. If you can't reboot the server through the VI Client try powering it off and back on after you shutdown the VM's.

Eric Siebert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
mfratto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, I did that already with no effect. I normally use a KVM but I a bit of flailing, I put the keyboard and monitor on the host, rebooted and no change.

I am going to drop back to ESX 3.0.2 and be done with it.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate your taking the time.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are using ESX 3i, then there is no service console to connect to. It has been removed. You etheir have to install the remote command line interface tools onto a linux / windows PC or import the RCLI vm appliance.

The download link for all 3 options is here - http://www.vmware.com/download/download.do?downloadGroup=VI-RCLI

To import the RCLI vm - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Import_RCLI_Appliance.html

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There is no service console anymore. you should use the Remote CLI for ESX 3i!

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Was this a 3.5 install or a 3i install, if it was 3i like was said there isn't a service console anymore. However if you are looking for the features of 3.5 you can install the normal 3.5 which still has a service console. It is build 64607 and then there are a number of patches January 17th that should also be applied.

0 Kudos
mfratto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pete, Duncan, yep. I had originally installed 3i. I just performed a tarball upgrade to 3.5 and I have a console and ssh. Phew.

Dave, thanks for the tip on remote CLI.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Cool, looked like that was the case.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You HAVE to use the VC Client with 3i. There's a hack out there somewhere to give you a service console with 3i but ...... uhhh ..... well .... it's a hack. If you're just playing around with it, fine but for production?

What point is there to using 3i? It's a great concept if you have an ESX server that you need to roll into production quickly but, ESX only takes a few minutes to install anyway. it has a smaller footprint which they say is better for security reasons but, how many people have had ESX hacked? Here's what i think. Microsoft keeps advertising that their virtualization platform is a very small install of Windows. You only install what you need. A smaller footprint means a smaller target for hackers. Vmware needed a product to compete in that space.

0 Kudos
ief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is a hack to enable SSH for VMware ESX 3i. Here is the procedure to enable SSH

- Boot ESXi and wait till the till"loaded

- Press ALT-F1, you see the console screen

- Type unsupported and press ENTER, now you entered the console

- Enter the root password

- Enter the following command vi /etc/inetd.conf

- Search for the #SSH row

- Remove the # from the SSH row

- Save the config by entering :wq!

- Type ps | grep inetd on the console

- Send a hangup signal by using the following command kill -s HUP <PID>

Open now your favorite SSH client (for example Putty) and SSH to the VMware 3i server.

Ivo

Check my blog at www.ivobeerens.nl

blog www.ivobeerens.nl
0 Kudos