VMware Cloud Community
Mac506
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie Question: 'Adding a Hard Disk' to exsiting VMGuest

Hello,

Newbie question here.

Question is regarding to adding new volumes 'Disk' to an existing Windows 2003 Server VMGuest

I have the notes on 'To add a hard drive'

Notes:

Running ESX 3.0.1

On the VMHost (there are about 10 Datastores of varing Free space from (4MB - 25GB free)

The VMGuest that I am looking to add space to is located on a Datastore that has 6GB free.

If I was looking ot add 4GB partitoin to this Virtual Guest Box, what are the steps tp properly create that 4GB of space?

I have seen that I should be able to do this live.

---

1. Open VMGuest settings

2. Edit Settings

3. Add..

4. Hard Disk <Next>

Now here is where my questions start.

There are to options that I can chose from (one grayed out)

Create a new Virtural Disk // Use an Existing Virtual Disk?

What is the correct way to add that 4GB partition to this VMGuest from one of the existing datastores?

What considerations should I have if selecting a different datastore if that is an option?

Any help on this proceedure would be great.

Thank you

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - Wince you want to create a brand new disk you will want to select Create New Virtual Disk - this will create a new virtual disk file for the VM you will then go into disk manager and partition the new space in the VM.

Basically selecting a different datastore will be used if you want a diak larger than 4 GB -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful