VMware Cloud Community
tayshun12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New to VM servers (please read)

hello everybody,

I am a new user to vmware infrastructure and i just had a few quick questions for setup.

1. i am looking to setup a server for which i can access multiple virtual machines and files.

2.i will be setting up a small office ( no more than 10 pc's for now)

3. i want to be able to login to an os ( xp, ubuntu, etc) from wherever i am (office, home, around the world?)

4. i was wondering if multiple users can access oses simultaneously

5. i was also wondering if i could make make my server with a regular pc ( 4gb ram , 1tb hdd, quad core intel)

6. also, if i plug any usb devices into the server, will they be accessible via any os ( external hdd, ipod, tv tuner etc.)

thank you for your answers in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you dead set on using ESX or are you just interested in the flexibility of virtualization? The question will determine what options you have to proceed.

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful DJ Gillit, VSP, VTSP Systems Integration and Special Projects localLINUX, Inc www.locallinux.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you would like to use ESX, then 5 and 6 will not work because the machine you described is not on the HCL and it doesnt support USB.

If you use VMWare server it would be possible to make the server out of a PC but you will have to have an OS to run VMWare server on.

As far as accessing OSes simultaneously, do you mean can one person be using a windows XP machine while another uses Ubuntu, or are you asking if they can both use the same VM at the same time?

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful DJ Gillit, VSP, VTSP Systems Integration and Special Projects localLINUX, Inc www.locallinux.com
tayshun12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thats exactly what i meant, i wanted to install 3 virtual xp and 3 ubuntu.

i downloaded vmi and esx, but im guessing they are the wrong programs?

how would i go about making a server (desktop)

and clients (laptops, home desktop, etc)

0 Kudos
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you dead set on using ESX or are you just interested in the flexibility of virtualization? The question will determine what options you have to proceed.

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

0 Kudos
_David
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you can skip the USB support i would go for ESXi which is free and buy hardware that is on the ESXi unofficial HCL. With ESXi it´s very important to have a supported SATA controller and NICs so check out the HCL before investing in hardware.

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3.5/Whiteboxes_SATA_Controllers_for_ESX_3.5_3i.htm

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
tayshun12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

im not too sure as to what i want, im open to all options. i was just looking for something simple to setup and have the ability for remote access.

0 Kudos
tayshun12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what is the difference between esxi and another product? i have a supported mobo so i think i should be fine for it.

0 Kudos
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe as _David mentioned, ESXi is an option you can go with but you will have to get a machine that has the supported hardware. If you want to run it on your PC, then I would suggest VMWare server because it will run the best on a PC, if you are comparing it to ESXi or ESX

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi is the free version of ESX that does not have a service console. When you say that your motherboard is supported, do you mean that you looked that the HCL for ESX and ESXi?

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

0 Kudos
_David
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It couldnt be much easier than ESXi. Just make a bootable usb stick http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-6824 ( or install it on local disk with the cd)

Boot the server on it, configure IP and root password. Surf to the IP from your workstation and download the Virtual Infrastructure Client and connect to your new ESXi to begin installing your first vms Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
tayshun12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

are either of these products stand alone? my current os is vista on the desktop for the server. while i was reading the information for vm infrastructure and saw that esx installs like an os. what would i use on the client side? and would all of the virtual machines be saved on the server, with remote access availability?

0 Kudos
tayshun12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for your response! i think thats the way im going to go,

I meant to put your answer as correct, but i clicked the wrong one. is there anyway to change it?

0 Kudos
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare server is not stand alone. You have to have an OS for it to run on. ESXi is stand alone and can be installed on a server and managed remotely.

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

0 Kudos
_David
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To manage your ESXi you run the Virtual Infrastructure Client (GUI) on a windows computer and connect it to your ESXi to setup your new guest OS:es

0 Kudos
tayshun12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect!

With ESXi can I access my os from my house even though my server is at my office?

0 Kudos
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IF you set up the routing correctly, then yes, you should have no problem logging in from anywhere in the world.

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

0 Kudos