VMware Cloud Community
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

New patch solution available from VMTS

I don't have anything to do with this site, but I've used the vmbk solution in the past and it's a fantastic tool.

Now it seems Massimiliano Daneri has moved his focus to patching ESX.

Check it out:

http://www.vmts.net/VMTSPatchManager.htm

-

UPDATE----

I've just release a new build, some issue you meet have been solved.

please try with the new build 2784

http://www.vmts.net/VMTSPatchManager.htm

Massimiliano Daneri

Message was edited by:

kix1979 to update the top of the thread.

0 Kudos
110 Replies
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here are the contents:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<!MacGen Programming www.CncEdit.com>

<!XML Version=2.0>

0 Kudos
manzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

maybe you have some problem with the configuration wizard, try to disable changing this setting

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found that and have re-run the configuration wizard multiple times without success. I am installing .Net framework 3.0 to see if that will fix the problem. Are there any pieces of software, other than the basic OS, needed for this to run? I saw earlier posting about wscp and putty.

Bill S.

0 Kudos
manzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you need the bits service and the protected store service running

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Both are running...no need for IIS? Any .Net configuration I need to change?

Bill S.

I keep getting this error:

EventType clr20r3, P1 vmts patch manager.exe, P2 1.0.2718.1414, P3 466c8d7c, P4 system.windows.forms, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4333aefa, P7 16b3, P8 159, P9 system.componentmodel.win32, P10 NIL.

Message was edited by:

sheetsb

0 Kudos
manzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no IIS need, no NET configuration to change

if you want I'm online on msn manzi*vmts.net

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have another VM I will use to re-install and see if it works there. I'll get back to you if I still have problems.

Bill S.

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No luck. I get the same problem on the other VM. Start the application and DW20.exe (DR Watson) starts up almost immediately. BITS and Protected storage are both running. Are there any problems with antivirus or any other programs?

Bill S.

0 Kudos
manzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just found a bug on my virtual machine,

now I fixit, please send me an email so I can send you the new version

the problem is in the default authentication module

0 Kudos
jmcclymont
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

after update to new version i get this error:

System.Net.WebException: Die zugrunde liegende Verbindung wurde geschlossen: Die Verbindung wurde unerwartet getrennt..

bei System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)

bei System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)

bei System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)

bei VimService.RetrieveServiceContent(ManagedObjectReference _this)

bei vmts.patchmanager.formMain.startconnection(String Host, Boolean usetrust)

and the patch manager goes back to login window.

thanks

jeff

0 Kudos
Erik_Bussink
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Using the latest release (2718), i can Putty & WinSCP in each ESX servers, I've got .NET 2.0, BITS and Protected Storage working, but when I'm trying to get the Patch version of the ESX3 servers using Update, I keep running into the following error message:

Tamir.SharpSsh.jsch.JSchException: Session.connect: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Tamir.SharpSsh.jsch.jce.AES128CBC.update(Byte\[] foo, Int32 s1, Int32 len, Byte[] bar, Int32 s2)

at Tamir.SharpSsh.jsch.Session.read(Buffer buf)

at Tamir.SharpSsh.jsch.UserAuth.start(Session session)

at Tamir.SharpSsh.jsch.UserAuthNone.start(Session session)

at Tamir.SharpSsh.jsch.Session.connect(Int32 connectTimeout)

at vmts.patchmanager.ssh.connect()

at vmts.patchmanager.HostESX.m_login()

Is there an SSH authentication problem in Tamir.sharpSsh.dll ?

Thanks

Erik Bussink Solution Architect @VMware CISSP, VCP#67, RHCE, DCUCD
0 Kudos
scot21
Contributor
Contributor

when you add a host it gives it the default ssh port you have in the setting. if you have added the host in an earlier version when it only had 22 it will still be on 22 you can edit the .XML in application data.......

0 Kudos
jandie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same problem, patch 2066306 (which is what I need to begin with) says "Downgrade." From what I read in the forums, this means that the patches were not installed in the right order; my questions are:

1. Doesn't VMTS-ESX Patch Manager install the patches in the correct order?

2. If not, where can I edit the patch list?

3. What is my next action now (regarding to applying patch 2066306 - which I believe will fix the problem I may be having right now), force reinstall of ALL the patches or redeploy ESX?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thank you

ps. this software is great btw, Thank you Massimiliano

Have a great day,

Johan

0 Kudos
manzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Johan,

patch 2066306 is very old, whitch other patches did you install with this one?

so I can verify if it's a bug.

Note. the installation order depend from release data

Massimiliano

0 Kudos
jandie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I installed all of them. I click the "Update" button on the host (from VMTS) and which ever ones it told me to install, I installed. Please let me know (or PM me) if you need more info.

Thanks again,

Johan

0 Kudos
manzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Erik,

I need more info, for example esx hostname , esx version, you use only root or not , password are complex or not

Massimiliano

0 Kudos
manzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can also select the host on the left tree , right mouse button and select SSH port, so you can change it

0 Kudos
scot21
Contributor
Contributor

When i install all the 3.0.1 patches it also gives me the downgrade on the same patch ? I take a brand new host with just the base 3.0.1 build on it and try to install all the patches and get the downgrade on patch 2066306. Now i tried another fresh install and installed patch 2066306 first before anything else and it applied as you would think then i ran all the other patches afterwards and patch # 1410076 gave me the downgrade option ???

0 Kudos
jandie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As I indicated in my last reply, I did install all of them and it looks like scot21 is having the same problem. According to kb10230 (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/10230) it looks like the patch in question (patch 2066306 in my case) might have been installed in a later/newer patch and therefore it says "downgrade" and it is recommended to NOT use the --force to install it but rather to exclude it next time. Can we take this approach?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Johan

0 Kudos
moberle
Contributor
Contributor

I too ran into this situation. I was concerned so I stopped using VMTS. and went back to using Dominic's ESX-Autopatch which is easier to use if you are updating new servers because it can be added to post processing in the install.

After doing this i went back and examined the installations. I found that the patches installed and the build number were identical. This made me curious so I checked Dominic's patchlist file and found that it did not include the patch in question above. This has given me confidence in VMTS and the downgrade condition of the patch. I am ignoring that patch. And I will be using VMTS to continue patching after initial installation.

0 Kudos