VMware Cloud Community
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New install ESX 3.5 Update 2.0 iSCSI

I am not sure what I am missing. I tested ESX 3.5 on this same hardware prior to purchasing my license. I removed the server to test another hypervisor and then reinstalled 3.5 but with update 2 (clean install).

I have two vswitches

/usr/sbin/esxcfg-vswitch -l

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch0 64 4 64 1500 vmnic0

PortGroup Name VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

VM Network 0 0 vmnic0

Service Console 0 1 vmnic0

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch1 64 4 64 1500 vmnic1

PortGroup Name VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

VMkernel 0 1 vmnic1

/usr/sbin/esxcfg-nics -l

Name PCI Driver Link Speed Duplex MTU Description

vmnic2 08:00.00 e1000 Down 0Mbps Half 1500 Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

vmnic3 08:00.01 e1000 Down 0Mbps Half 1500 Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

vmnic4 0a:00.00 e1000 Down 0Mbps Half 1500 Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

vmnic5 0a:00.01 e1000 Down 0Mbps Half 1500 Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

vmnic6 0c:00.00 e1000 Up 1000Mbps Full 1500 Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

vmnic7 0c:00.01 e1000 Down 0Mbps Half 1500 Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

vmnic0 03:00.00 bnx2 Up 1000Mbps Full 1500 Broadcom Corporation Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T

vmnic1 07:00.00 bnx2 Up 1000Mbps Full 1500 Broadcom Corporation Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T

From my EMC NS352 i can ping the ip address assigned to the vmkernel on vswitch 1. On my iSCSI Target I have created the LUN mask, just like I normally do when setting up iSCSI targets. I just can not get my ESX server to see the targets.

Physical network. ESX host - Physical Switch - iSCSI target. The Physical port on the switch is set to a vlan as are all the ports used for my iSCSI network. The vmkernel, is on the subnet I use for iSCSI which is different than the rest of my lan. Note this is all the same physical setup as I used for my test with ESX 3.5 and when testing a windows 2008 server with hyper-v. I was able to get iSCSI working before, and I just can not identify what step i am missing. I have rescanned, rebooted, and rescanned, but I still show 0 targets and I should have 2.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - one of the common misses if you are using the software iSCSI initiator is that the service needs to communnicate to the iSCSI target - so from your EMC can you ping your service console port?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - one of the common misses if you are using the software iSCSI initiator is that the service needs to communnicate to the iSCSI target - so from your EMC can you ping your service console port?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, It can not, I currently don't have a Service console set on vswitch 1. I will create one. I will need to give it an ip address on the subnet for my iSCSI network. I do have a Service Console on vSwitch 0 which is the console address that I connect my VMware I Client to.

I will try creating a SC on my vSwitch 1 and reporting back.

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes as already stated you need a service console and vmkernel with access to the iscsi array. Just create them in vswitch1 in the same subnet as the iscsi target. This will

do the trick,

Best regards

Frank Brix Pedersen

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That should resolve the issue -

If you found this anser or any others helpful please do not forget to mark question answered and award points -

0 Kudos
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question:

when creating the SC on my vSwitch 1 it sets the gateway as the default which for my VMs and management is correct, but the Physical NIC on vSwitch 1 does not have access to that gateway. My VMKernel default gateway is the IP address of my iSCSI target.

iSCSI is on subnet 10.x.x.0 and lan is subnet 192.168.x.0 Do I need to attach a second physical nic to vSwitch 1 in order to allow SC to use the default gateway? I am confused as to the role of SC in my iSCSI network. For all of my current VMs and Physical servers my iSCSI network is setup with isolated ports (vlan) and are on a seperate subnet. I know I had the same configuration when I setup ESX 3.5 server not 4 weeks ago.

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can only have one service console default gateway (hence the word default Smiley Happy use the correct gateway on your management service console. Ignore

the gateway on the service console in the iscsi network. As long as your ip address on the iscsi service console is in the same subnet as the iscsi san

it will not need the gateway.

You don't need an extra pnic on vswitch1

My normal setup when using icsi:

vswitch0:

service console

vmotion

vswitch1 (ISCSI)

service console for iscsi

vmkernel for iscsi

vswitch2

virtual machine traffic

Best regards

Frank Brix Pedersen

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Set the Service consol up but it won't let me set teh defaul gateway for the Service counsole, if I try to change it, I get: "erro during the configuration of the host: Unable to update service console default gateway: Exec of command '/sbin/ip route replace to default via 10.1.5.100' suceeded, but returned with non-zero status: 2 and it will only let me cancel to proceed.

0 Kudos
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome, I am up and running now. Thank you so very much.:p

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No problem Smiley Happy