VMware Cloud Community
kouliscon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Networking

Hello community

I have one DELL server box and on it i have 2 virtual servers. One is AD running 2008 and the other is MS-Exchange running 2003.

The box has 2 network cards of 1 GB.

at this moment the cards are used as:

-VMNIC0 = for the vmserver

-VMNIC1 = Virtual server 1 & Virtual Server 2

as shown at the file attached.

Is there a way to see the second card in this case the VMNIC0 to Virtual Server 2?

thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, it is possible.

From your vSwitch0 configuration, add a virtual machine port group (name it "PrivateVMNetwork" for example).

Change the configuration of the VM you want to isolate. Attach its network card to this new port group "PrivateVMNetwork" (replacing the one you named "LAN").

On the machine you want to have both connections, add a second network card. Then attach this new card to the new "PrivateVMNetwork".

Finally, configure your virtual machines from inside the OS with IP addresses according to your subnets configurations.

Franck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Kouliscon,

Create a Virtual Machine Port Group on vSwitch0.

Add a second card to Virtual Server 2.

Attach this card to the port group you just created.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
kouliscon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dont really understant.

The idea is that i would like to use to VMserver and to the 2 virtual servers 1 physical network card with non routable IP's and only to one server to use the second physical network card so i will appoint another external IP.

is this possible?

thx

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, it is possible.

From your vSwitch0 configuration, add a virtual machine port group (name it "PrivateVMNetwork" for example).

Change the configuration of the VM you want to isolate. Attach its network card to this new port group "PrivateVMNetwork" (replacing the one you named "LAN").

On the machine you want to have both connections, add a second network card. Then attach this new card to the new "PrivateVMNetwork".

Finally, configure your virtual machines from inside the OS with IP addresses according to your subnets configurations.

Franck

0 Kudos
kouliscon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well this is fantastic... it worked...

That means that the 2 servers on 1 Network card will "share" the networks card speed?

thx

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes. And also the VMware system (Management Network). That also means that, in case of a failure of this single port, all communication to VMs and the host is lost. That's why we usually have two physical connections for the console and two others for the VMs.

Networking is a very interesting part of the virtualization!

Happy that you found your solution.

Regards

Franck