VMware Cloud Community
Mankney1
Contributor
Contributor

Network Usage Alarm

Hi, we recently set up alarms for Metric Network Usage. It sometimes shows (like shown below) usage far over 100 percent. How can this be? Is this not telling me how much of the network is being used? It is an ESX 3.01 system.

I suspect it might be because we have 4 nics teamed together for the VMware host and it does not know how to handle that. Is this a reasonable explanation?

Thanks for your help.

Target: esx2.xxxxx.xxx

Old Status: Green

New Status: Red

Current value:

Basic Alert - (State = Connected OR Metric Network Usage (Average/Rate) = 529%)

Alarm: Basic Alert

( OR )

Description:

Alarm Basic Alert on esx2.xxxxx.xxx changed from Green to Red

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DonalB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

What version of VC do you have? I'm pretty sure that in earlier versions the % value being shown for the alarm is incorrect is actually measured as KBps by VC (this is fixed in VC2.5U2/U3) so the way the alerts are set means that although it looks like 80% usage it's actually triggered when you go past 80 KBps of usage, for example.

Hope this helps

DB

0 Kudos
helenwhite
Contributor
Contributor

Im using the system utilization observe and have discovered a device that has downloadable 25gig in complete for Nov. (average for the 30 days should be nearer to 400mb!) Is it possible to create an security set on the whole system which would aware me when any device goes over a certain amount?

warehouse alarms

0 Kudos
som94
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mankney1,

Please use XANGAI tool for monitoring the network.

http://kendrickcoleman.com/index.php?/?/Tech-Blog/xangati-releases-a-top-10-free-tool_html=0.

"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code"
0 Kudos