VMware Cloud Community
fitzie22
Contributor
Contributor

Need to move vm without VC

I have a vm that is on an old esx 2.5.1 server and the host has a ton of issues with it. I want to connect to the host using winscp adn copy the .dsk file to a newer VI 3.0.2 server and upgrade it using command lines. Does anyone have a document that shows how to do this or knows how to?

thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ecutcher
Contributor
Contributor

Best way is to use veeam fastscp to copy it to a desktop, run convertor on it and it will put it on the 3.0.2 machine for you after upgrading it. How I upgraded from 2.5.1 to 3.0.1 a couple months ago.

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Download veeam fastSCP, ensure you have port 2500 TCP open on your ESX firewalls and inter-tier firewalls then just use the GUI to copy the files between hosts.

Command to open FW ports:

esxcfg-firewall -o 2500,tcp,in,FastSCP

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Are you using a Virtual Centre?

If so, have you tried using VMWare converter? This will move the vm and make any conversions neccesary.

Good Luck

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Haha I think the fact that the thread is called "Need to move vm without VC" would indicate that he doesnt have a virtual centre server he can use for this.

0 Kudos
fitzie22
Contributor
Contributor

yes that is correct virtual center is definatelly out for this vm. Ok now so i have it straight

veemscp the vwmserver.dsk file only to my desktop

run converter on that .dsk file adn point it to go to the new esx 3.0.2 server

is this corrrect and rather is it that easy? I can kind of remember a long time ago with 2.x that I would have to not only copy teh .dsk file but a couple of config files as well, but that was a long time ago..

0 Kudos
ecutcher
Contributor
Contributor

Pull everything over to the desktop and convertor will actually run on the .vmx if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos
fitzie22
Contributor
Contributor

I think I have alot more going on with this server than what I see. If i even try to open the vmfs folder I get this error

Unknown open() mode '>&' at lib62c8e6eb-a474-49cf-b463-bfd818da1a0e/Esx.pm line 566.

- /vmfs/

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

How many VMs do you plan to move? Is this require to be uptime or can be downtime? If downtime, there are several options can be utilize and Veeam FastSCP is by far the fastest copying tools because uncrypted data. If you can't copy the .vmdk image and .vmx try to use free backup tools like VISBU, esXpress and Veeam Backup these tends to work really well. All you need to make sure is you have connections from source to destination. You can also use VMware Converter standalone version to do the job as well. You can also use vmfstools utility to export VMs.

1. Use Veeam FastSCP and copied all VMs folder to destination ESX hosts local storage or SAN if exist.

2. Use vmware-cmd command to register the .vmx file so it will show up in VI client when connected directly to ESX host. Or logon to ESX host and browse to datastore and right click "Add to Favorite" same result.

3. Once all VMs are moved and backup, fresh install ESX host and it should be fine.

You can try VISBU, esXpress or Veeam Backup seems easier all you have to do is click click and find the source and point to destination.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos