VMware Cloud Community
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Multiple SAN connections per host

So we're here on the weekend getting ready to install a second SAN into our enviroment which will in the long run replace our current SAN. We've heard rumors that we may run into problems trying to connect multiple SAN's to each ESX host because of lack of paths. We have 4 hosts, both with redundant paths to 2 switches. So Server_1 has 2 fiber runs, one fiber runs to switch_1, and the second run goes to switch_2 and the same setup goes with our SAN.

Are there any problems with conneting multiple SAN's so we can slowly migrate our VM's to the new san?

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

i.e the hba1 is connected to sw1 and that is connected to old-storage and the hba2 is connected to sw2 and that is connected to new-storage; the 2 switches aren't connected - is that correct?

If YES - then I can't see any problems - just avoid the same lun ids.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

i.e the hba1 is connected to sw1 and that is connected to old-storage and the hba2 is connected to sw2 and that is connected to new-storage; the 2 switches aren't connected - is that correct?

If YES - then I can't see any problems - just avoid the same lun ids.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I believe that they aren't connected, they are just 2 stand alone switches with ethernet connections to the same production network. I think we figured it out ourselves because we presented the new LUNs to a test host and it seemed to work.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your plan will work fine.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

we have been running 2 sans for a few years. All esx servers have access to all the luns on both sans no problems.

We have 9 esx hosts connected via 2 fibre switches with 2 hba's in each host. You will be fine

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ì've used this setup with several migration projects. Works fine everytime and is the fastest route to new storage.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks guys, got it up and running with no problems.

0 Kudos