VMware Cloud Community
tonyhard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving one disk to another location

Hi,

I currently have a vitrual server using 6 hard drives, 5 being on a SAN and the 6th located on local storage of the VIN. How can i just move the 6th local disk to a SAN attached LUN. I have looked to migrate the server but it would move all the disks , i just want to be able to move one of the drives not all of them.

Can anyone help ? thanks in advance as well.

Tony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey,

1. Power off vm

2. Remove disk (but do not delete)

3. copy disk files (.vmdk) to target location)

4. Add virtual disk (pick already created, and browse to .vmdk)

5. Power on vm

Good Luck

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey,

1. Power off vm

2. Remove disk (but do not delete)

3. copy disk files (.vmdk) to target location)

4. Add virtual disk (pick already created, and browse to .vmdk)

5. Power on vm

Good Luck

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have virtyal cenetr and vmotion - if you do then you can do storage vmotion or cold mograte the vm leaving it on the server and moving the storage - if you do not have vc thanwhat the other poster suggesred will work -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
DGWS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The advanced option when doing a cold migration will allow you to move one of the vmdk's to a different loaction and keep all the others where they are. Or powere off the VM and remove the vmdk and scp the vmdk and then readd it back in.

0 Kudos