VMware Cloud Community
cbacpwilcox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving from Vmware Server 2.x to ESX or ESXi

How can I go about moving from ESXi to ESX? Is it relatively easy and are there any problems the file format's?

Here is what my setup is now.

Host: Windows 2008 Standard (It is my Terminal Licensing Server) & VMWare Server 2.0.

Virtual Machines:

1. 2008 Terminal Server

2. Windows XP Machine

3. Red Hat Linux Ent. 5.3 Machine

4. Windows 2003 R2 Standard Domain Controller

5. Windows 2003 BES Server

Any suggestions and do you see any problems moving from Vmware Server 2.0 to ESXi or ESX?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, natively ESX(i) does not have an import tool. vCenter has a converter plugin, but if you have standalone ESX(i) Hosts, VMware Converter is your best option.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can use Vmware Convertor / Import tool to migrate from vmware server to esxi/esx .. ive done this in the past for customers and it was pretty painless...

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
cbacpwilcox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So ESX & ESXi do not have an importer tool. I would need to use the VMWare Converter tool?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So we're clear, are you trying to move from vmware server to ESXi/ESX or from ESXi to ESX? Either way, converter allows you to convert the virtual machines themselves. From ESXi to ESX, there isn't really a conversion necessary, per se, only a relocation of files or a reinstall of the hypervisor. What exactly are you trying to do?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, natively ESX(i) does not have an import tool. vCenter has a converter plugin, but if you have standalone ESX(i) Hosts, VMware Converter is your best option.

0 Kudos
cbacpwilcox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am trying to move from VMWare Server 2.0 to ESX or ESXi.

0 Kudos
cbacpwilcox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When you say, "vCenter has a converter plugin", this isn't something that is free is it?

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

so your best route in this case is to use the Vmware Convertor 4 ... install it on each of your Physical Systems and then start run a P2V process, during the setup of a job, you will see that you can point the physical computer to your esxi/esx box .... pretty simple and straight forward...

Feel free to ask anythying else if you run into any other speedbumps.

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, vCenter is an additional cost. But you can download VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0 for free.

0 Kudos