VMware Cloud Community
stoneheaver
Contributor
Contributor

Moving ESX server and VMS from old SAN to New SAN

I have a client with a ESX setup of one ESX server and 5 VMS. The OS for the ESX server resides on the SAN. I need to move everything from Old SAN to new SAN. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this? The new SAN is setup with partions like the old.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - I just want to confirm are your running ESX 3.0 or ESX 3.5? Do you have VC available and are licensed for VMotion? If you are using 3.5 and have VC and are licensed for vmotion the easiest way is to let the ESX hosts see both SANs and use storage VMotion - if you are using 3.0 or do not have virtual center avaiable then you are going to have to have some down time because yopu will need to manually copy the virtual machies -

If you found this or another answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
stoneheaver
Contributor
Contributor

I think it is 3.2 and we do have virtual center. IF we don't have VMotion, is it a straight copy of data from one SAN to another? or do I have to use a special utility? Any help on thios would be great...Thanks.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to create the VMFS datastore and then you can any scp tool you would like -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
wellssd
Contributor
Contributor

If ESX is actually installed on a external volume, then it becomes much more difficult.

What type of SAN equipment are you moving from, or to?

Scott

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

ESX SAN BOOT OUCH! hate it

0 Kudos
stoneheaver
Contributor
Contributor

So, I can use WCP to move data from the original SAN to the new SAN. It's a fiber channel SAN. Sorry, I am new at this and been thrown into the fire on this project.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

not sure what wcp is but I am assuming it is an SCP tool like WInSCP or FastSCP - and if it is yes you can

0 Kudos