VMware Cloud Community
PatrickWE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving ESX host from 1 physical server to another

Hi,

In our lab environement, we need to move the disks (RAID5) from 1 ESX 3.0.2 (61618) from an HP ML350 to another ML350. The destination server has less memory and only 1 CPU (also slower ) and 1 less NIC, but other than that, all is the same hardware...

What problems would I get and should expect to get... I have a backup with VRanger of all the VM's on this box before the move and can restore if needed. I can also reinstall the ESX Host, but that would be a bit more work...

Thanks !!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you say move disks from 1 host to another . Most HP raid arrays will recpngize the drives and allow you to add them into the new system.

Now you also mentioned 1 cpu on the box you are moving them to esx needs 2 cpu's.

Do you have enough space on the new server to copy the vmdks into localvmfs prior to moving the disks, and do you have a 2nd cpu to add to the box.

As far as memory, are you memory bound now

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi you can use a tool to do a disk image like Ghost or Acronis true image ...

But your destination must be same hardware ...

Last solution, install a new ESX server with the 3.5 version ...

Regards

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you say move disks from 1 host to another . Most HP raid arrays will recpngize the drives and allow you to add them into the new system.

Now you also mentioned 1 cpu on the box you are moving them to esx needs 2 cpu's.

Do you have enough space on the new server to copy the vmdks into localvmfs prior to moving the disks, and do you have a 2nd cpu to add to the box.

As far as memory, are you memory bound now

0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Backup the VM (Just in case). Move the physical disks to there new home. Power on the server. This should work. If not just reinstall ESX and restore the VM's

kinsden
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there,

We have kind of similar situation:

we were having an ESX 3.5 host on a HP ProLiant DL580 G5. We swapped the disks to a new HP DL580G5. Since the change, I am not able to make the VMKernel portgroup work. Whatever NIC I attach to the vswitch that has VMKernel portgroup, its link does not come up or if it comes up, goes down and then comes back up. Its flapping!

The physical switch port is 100MB Full and I have configured the NIC to the same speed/duplex setting. But it still shows as down in VI Client and service console. The NICs are Intel PRO/1000 PT Low Profile Quad Port PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

No matter which port I use on the physical NIC or which physical NIC I use, it doesn't seem to like it. Also I tried setting speed/duplex setting using esxcfg-nics command from SC, but it does not seem to taking any effect. The Service Console and Virtual Machine vswitch/portgroup works fine..its just the VMkernel..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks.

0 Kudos