VMware Cloud Community
loufeliz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move vmdk file to different Storage

Hello.

I have an ESX 3 server that I have added more local storage to as well as space via NFS to a spedy linux server (GB Enet attached). I would like to move several VMDK files from the primary storage to the newwer storage that has more capacity as well as to the NFS storage. The VMS I am putting on NFS are app servers and do not write alot to local disk (did some testing and it works fine).

How do I copy/Move the VMDK files? I am planning on leaving the VM definitions in same place.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm sometimes a bit "old skool" as I like using a bash script for that which works fine if all your hosts can see the same storage.

Here's a link to the script I use. Script for moving a VM to another storage

Nothing fancy, but it works, also on the 3.0.x version, not only for a ESX 3.5.

It will move the VM to the other storage, but keeps it registered on the same host.

You still have to manually unregister it on Host A) and then register it again on Host B)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey

Welcome to the forums.

If you dont mind downtime, then the easiest way is to just power off the vm.

Right click the vm and select migrate. Through the wizard you can move the vm configuration files.

If you cant afford downtime, then you can download the Remote CLI or use powershell to initiate a storage vmotion.

Providing you have all of the ESX pre-reqs configured.

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
loufeliz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip and speedy response, but I do not have the option to Migrate when I rt-click on a powered down VM. I tried on my 3.02 and 3.5 servers.

-Lou

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm sometimes a bit "old skool" as I like using a bash script for that which works fine if all your hosts can see the same storage.

Here's a link to the script I use. Script for moving a VM to another storage

Nothing fancy, but it works, also on the 3.0.x version, not only for a ESX 3.5.

It will move the VM to the other storage, but keeps it registered on the same host.

You still have to manually unregister it on Host A) and then register it again on Host B)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Storage Vmotion is a 3.5 feature not 3.0.x.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Nice,

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
loufeliz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THanks so muchB-) . I will definitely use this.

• Lou

0 Kudos