VMware Cloud Community
robbyburmeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move Virtual Server

We have two ESX 3.0.1 Servers that boot from local drives. These are blade servers that are also connected a SAN. Most of our virutal servers reside on LUNs presented to the ESX Server. I have two virtual servers that were setup on the blades local drives and I would like to move them to the SAN. What is the best way to accomplish this? We do not have Virtual Center or Vmotion.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

my apologies, it's still early here and I didn't read you original post correctly. You don't have vCenter so you can't use the migrate option.

For your situation, in my opinion VMware vCenter Converter Standalone would be your best option.

again, sorry for the confusion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you could shutdown the VMs in question and do a cold migration by right clicking and choose migrate.

0 Kudos
robbyburmeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would that allow me to move the virtual server from one ESX server to another or only within that ESX server?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, that will allow you to move the entire VM off it's current host to the new host.

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Log into the host directly using the VI Client (root account). Shut down the VM and Remove it from inventory. Browse to the datastore where the VM files reside. Right-click on the folder containing the VM files and select Move To... then select your target datastore. Once the move is completed, go to the VMX file in the VM folder and right-click to add it to inventory. You may have to answer a question about the VM being moved, and then it will power on. I just tried this method and it worked.

Troy: Since he is without VC, there is no Migrate option. Chime in if I am mistaken.

robbyburmeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I shutdown the VM and right click on it I don't see an option to migrate.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

my apologies, it's still early here and I didn't read you original post correctly. You don't have vCenter so you can't use the migrate option.

For your situation, in my opinion VMware vCenter Converter Standalone would be your best option.

again, sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

See my previous post.

0 Kudos
robbyburmeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should I browse to the datastore in Virtual Infrastructure client? I have removed the Virtual Server from inventory, but when I browse the folder in the datastore I do not see a copy to option.

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Right-click on the folder that contains the VM files and there is a Move To... option

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can also do a Copy on the folder with the VM files, then browse to the target data store and do a Paste.

0 Kudos
robbyburmeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've attached a picture of where I am at in VIC. When I right click on the dorner folder I don't get any options.

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Click on the root of the datastore '/' then right-click on the folder name in the right pane.

0 Kudos
robbyburmeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The only option I get then is "delete from disk".

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm using 3.5 U4 with the client (147633) and I have the option to do a Move To... What version of the client are you using?

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I've attached a screenshot of what I see.

0 Kudos
robbyburmeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are running 3.0.1. Doing some work before upgrading to 3.5 U4

0 Kudos
robbyburmeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Maybe that is a feature of 3.5. I just used vConverter to move the VM to my other ESX server. Worked pretty well.

0 Kudos