VMware Cloud Community
czatts01
Contributor
Contributor

More Licensing Issues with 3.x upgrade to 3.5

I've upgraded my ESX 3.x Starter to 3.5 (which is now Foundation). I don't use a license server because I only have one ESX host. I've followed all the instructions for the upgrade and rebuilding the license files. I used the downloaded zip file, created a CD with the rpm's on it and issued the esxupdate command. The final status of the update was 0 (successful). After uploading the license host file, I get an error when I try to select the ESX server edition. My two choices are "Unlicensed" or "ESX Server Foundation". When I select "ESX Server Foundation" I get the following error:"There are not enough licenses insalled to prform the opration." I had enough licenses before I upgraded, not sure what could have happened after the upgrade. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Full_Halsey
Contributor
Contributor

How many procs does your ESX server have?

0 Kudos
czatts01
Contributor
Contributor

It's a dell 6950 with 4 CPUs. I have (2) 2-processor licenses.

0 Kudos
Full_Halsey
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue last week. VMware licensing tech support informed me there is a bug using the license file method to licensing ESX server with 4 or more procs. They said an emergency patch was in the works. Their only solution was to run it in eval mode, which gives you 60 days.

czatts01
Contributor
Contributor

I'll do that for now. Thanks. I have an open call to them. They haven't responded to me yet.

0 Kudos