VMware Cloud Community
kegwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Missing 'Upgrade' Option during ESX 3.0.2 to 3.5 Upgrade

I am currently trying to upgrade from 3.02 to 3.5 (latest build). For some reason, when I boot to the CD, I do not receive an option to 'upgrade' like I have on all my other servers. It sees the VMFS partitions and all the disk because it asks me if I want to preserve all my VMFS data, but it will destroy the non-VMFS partitions. I have used the exact same install disk on several other upgrades and it worked perfectly. Anybody ran into this...any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MZ11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Don't use the iso's - they are only for a fresh install.

Please use VMware-esx-upgrade-from-esx3-3.5.0-64607a.zip and upgrade-from-esx3.5-3.5.0_Update_1-82663.zip to Upgrade 3.0.X versions, that works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You can just download the .zip upgrade package vs. using the CD, this will also preserver all your settings/configuration. Make sure the system is in Maint. Mode and all VMs are migrated off, and you can get that box upgraded in about 30min or so and then just reboot.

kegwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick reply. However, my normal procedure is to use the upgrade CD. I don't feel comfortable using a different method when I am already experiencing abnormalities with a server. If all else fails, I will likely resort to the .ZIP upgrade method.

0 Kudos
y_wisdom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you created the CD from ISO, do a checksum of the ISO and create the CD again, or select the TEST option before you begin the install.

0 Kudos
MZ11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you did not get the point.

Regwell, do you want to upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.5 Update 1?

If this is the case there is no direct option. You need to Update to 3.5 first and than upgrade to 3.5 Update 1.

There are only packages available to upgrade from 2.x to 3.5 Update 1 and from 3.5 to 3.5 Update 1.

0 Kudos
kchua
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem too. I've downloaded both the "esx-3.5.0-64607a.iso" and "esx-3.5.0_Update_1-82663.iso" files and burn them to 2 CDs. Tests of both the CDs went through with no errors. Both CDs also did not present the "Upgrade" option and told me that it will destroy the non-VMFS partitions just like what kegwell gets.

I've not try on other ESX 3.0.2 hosts yet.

Anyone has any idea, please advise.

TIA

0 Kudos
MZ11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Don't use the iso's - they are only for a fresh install.

Please use VMware-esx-upgrade-from-esx3-3.5.0-64607a.zip and upgrade-from-esx3.5-3.5.0_Update_1-82663.zip to Upgrade 3.0.X versions, that works.

0 Kudos
kchua
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks MZ1

I've downloaded the 2 files and performed the upgrade. It's able to upgrade to 3.5.0 now.

0 Kudos
kegwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The .ISO is perfectly acceptable to use for an upgrade and works perfect. There is an upgrade option, vs fresh install (most of the time Smiley Wink ). Although, I could't get it to work. I am blaming this on voodoo. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos