VMware Cloud Community
hornet919
Contributor
Contributor

Migration form VMware Server to ESX 3.5

Hi,

I have a lot of VM on VMware server 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 l whant move the VM on ESX 3.5?

How can I convert my VMDK from VMWare Server to ESX?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
hornet919
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I will try

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you're welcome.

Please consider awarding points by marking the answers as "correct" or "helpful"

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

VMware vCenter Converter 4.0 is the newly release and it should do the trick. If you want other options how to migrate this look at Eric website vmware-land.com for details. Here's the steps:

How can I migrate my Vmware Server VM’s to ESX?

There are several methods for doing this that are listed below:

Method 1 – Vmware Converter running directly on Vmware Server (Cold clone)

• Install Vmware Converter on to the Vmware Server and reboot if prompted

• Shutdown the VM to be converted

• Run Converter and select Import Machine

• Click Next at the Welcome screen and Next again at the Source screen

• Select “Standalone virtual machine, backup or disk image” as your source and click Next

• Browse to your VM’s vmx file and click Next

• Select either “Import all disks and maintain size” or “Select volumes and resize to save or add space”, select your volumes and enter a new disk size if necessary and click Next

• Click Next at the Destination screen

• Select “VMware ESX Server or VirtualCenter virtual machine” as your destination and click Next

• At the destination login screen enter your VC/ESX server name and login credentials and click Next

• Enter a Virtual Machine name and folder and click Next

• Select a Host/Cluster and click Next then select a Datastore and click Next

• Enter your NIC information and click Next then click Next again at the customization screen

• Click Finish when it completes

• Edit your new VM’s settings and remove any extra hardware if not needed, ie. USB devices, serial and parallel devices, Floppy drive and change the SCSI adapter to LSI Logic if needed

• Power on your new VM and uninstall VMware tools (VMware server version)

• Restart server

• Remove old virtual machine hardware

o Open CMD prompt and type “SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1” and then “DEVMGMT.MSC”

o Select “Show Hidden Devices” from top menu

o Remove old greyed-out non-present hardware, ie. old processor, disk drives, IDE/SCSI controllers, storage volumes, etc.

• Reboot and install VMware tools (ESX version) and you are finished

Method 2- Vmware Converter running directly on Virtual Machine (Hot clone)

• Install Vmware Converter on to the Virtual Machine and reboot if prompted

• Run Converter and select Import Machine

• Click Next at the Welcome screen and Next again at the Source screen

• Select “Physical Computer” as your source and click Next

• Select “This local machine” and click Next

• Select either “Import all disks and maintain size” or “Select volumes and resize to save or add space”, select your volumes and enter a new disk size if necessary and click Next

• Click Next at the Destination screen

• Select “VMware ESX Server or VirtualCenter virtual machine” as your destination and click Next

• At the destination login screen enter your VC/ESX server name and login credentials and click Next

• Enter a Virtual Machine name and folder and click Next

• Select a Host/Cluster and click Next then select a Datastore and click Next

• Enter your NIC information and click Next then click Next again at the customization screen

• Click Finish when it completes

• Edit your new VM’s settings and remove any extra hardware if not needed, ie. USB devices, serial and parallel devices, Floppy drive and change the SCSI adapter to LSI Logic if needed

• Power on your new VM and uninstall VMware tools (VMware server version)

• Restart server

• Remove old virtual machine hardware

o Open CMD prompt and type “SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1” and then “DEVMGMT.MSC”

o Select “Show Hidden Devices” from top menu

o Remove old greyed-out non-present hardware, ie. old processor, disk drives, IDE/SCSI controllers, storage volumes, etc.

• Reboot and install VMware tools (ESX version) and you are finished

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos