VMware Cloud Community
chicagovm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migration Question

So if I have a newlt upgraded ESX 2.x to ESX 3.x server and a free VMFS3 LUN and the VMs were migrated to adjoining ESX 2.x host and VMFS2 LUNs.

1. I can keep the VMs powered on while migrating it to the new ESX 3.x host and VMFS3 LUN? ( Does - VM get placed in REDO" mode automatically? or ) -

OR

2. I must have VMs powered down before any coping from source VMFS2 to target VMFS3?

Thanks

Im lazy to look in forum today

please exscure

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jdvcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You should be able to keep the VMs up during a special VMotion only allowed during supported upgrades - you can migrate the disk files (vmdks) from VMFS2 to VMFS3. However, you still need to eventually introduce 1 or 2 VM reboots to upgrade the VM's virtual hardware to version 3, as well as upgrading the VMTools. This is all spelled out in detail in the VI3 installation and upgrade guide:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_installation_guide.pdf

There are multiple upgrade paths spelled out in this guide.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jdvcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You should be able to keep the VMs up during a special VMotion only allowed during supported upgrades - you can migrate the disk files (vmdks) from VMFS2 to VMFS3. However, you still need to eventually introduce 1 or 2 VM reboots to upgrade the VM's virtual hardware to version 3, as well as upgrading the VMTools. This is all spelled out in detail in the VI3 installation and upgrade guide:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_installation_guide.pdf

There are multiple upgrade paths spelled out in this guide.

0 Kudos
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the server hardware is similar enough to support VMotion between the two servers, and both servers can see the VMFS2 LUNs, you can do a "VMotion with relocation" (your option 1)

At some point, you'll need to shut down each VM and do an "Upgrade virtual hardware". You'll also need to upgrade the VM tools, which will also require a reboot.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!