VMware Cloud Community
jasdeep
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating Old Hardware to New - Evaluation License Unable to be added to VC - What ought to be the Strategy?

We are currently utilizing all of our ESX Enterprise licenses through the license server method. We decided to replace one of our older servers and installed the latest version, ESX 3.5 Update 3 ,on the new box. By default runs in evaluation mode for 60 days and tech support confirmed that everything is active. I then tried to add this new host(evaluation mode) to our VC and keep getting "There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation." Tech support was not helpful in getting to the bottom of the problem and it seems they think 1) either evaluation mode cannot be added to VC, 2) you cannot have all hosts and VC pointing to a license server and add a host that is licensed for evaluation because that is like having the ESX host use a Host License file and "maybe" VC cannot have mix and match.

Regardless, what is the strategy of migrating VMs off an old hardware and migrating them to new when you are fully utilizing your licenses?

I was expecting to add a new host in evaluation mode. Migrate the VMs off using VMotion. Release the licenses on the old hardware. Configure the new hardware to start utilizing the now available licenses from the License Server.

Any help regarding this would be appreciated. I am sure this would be a common need for an enterprise.

Jasdeep

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The issue is there not enought VC Agent licenses to add the new host - the best way to do this is migrate the VMs off one host bring that down bring up the new host and add it to oyur VC environemnt -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
jasdeep
Contributor
Contributor

So, does this mean if we were to purchase extra VC Agents this would work?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It should but I was thought this new ESX Server was to replace one of the older servers - if it is to be a new host in the VC environemnt then yes it should work - and if you plan to use VMotion/HA/DRS you will need those licenses as well -

0 Kudos
jasdeep
Contributor
Contributor

That is the plan and we are going to be swapping most of our old hardware with new and it's not practical to move VMs to other servers and then new. It's easier to move to the final destination once. Thanks for your help I am in process of trying to buy VC Agents but online does not seem to have just that option and Sales seems to have already left for the holidays but hopefully someone returns my call today.

0 Kudos