VMware Cloud Community
Mr-Mistery
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate vms from one Virtual center to another

Hi Guru:

We have two Virtual center A and B. Virtual Center A is managing ESX 2.5.3 and Virtual Center B is Managing ESX 3.0.2.

Both VCs are running version 2.0.1

We want to consolidate and move now those virtual machines that still seats on ESX 2.5.2- Virtual Center A into ESx 3.0.2- Virtual Center B. What is the best way to do this?

We avoided upgrading the ESX 2.5.3 straigjt to esx 3.0.2 due to some critical business reasons. thus, we prefer to do it gradually, vm per vm.

thanks

nuthin

nuthin
0 Kudos
5 Replies
demz
Expert
Expert

Did you consider to use VMware Converter to do this operation ?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

my suggestion would be to do it one of two ways. 1st being, add the 2.x host into VC, then cold migrate all the VM's onto the 3.0.x Hosts, upgrade the virtual hardware and power them off. Once all VM's are moved off, upgrade the 2.x host.. 2nd being, use VMware converter to move the 2.x guests into the 3.0.x hosts, that will also upgrade the virtual hardware.

hope this helps

0 Kudos
Mr-Mistery
Contributor
Contributor

I did try using Vmware converter.. but I got an error saying that Host that I'm using is in ESX 2.5 and cannot be managed in ESX 3.0 to migrate?

Does this make sense ? Thought this will work

nuthin

nuthin
0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

Did you try with the latest standalone version of Vmware Converter ?

0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

you should also take a look at this document : http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_upgrade_guide.pdf

0 Kudos