VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrate VM to one Datacenter to another Datacenter

I am trying to migrate VM one datacenter to another Datacenter, and getting the following error:

"The input arguments had entities that did not belong to the same datacenter"

I can't migrate live VM to another DC? that sux, VC is 2.5

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

We are wanting to do something similar.

I gave up, I put my VMware "expert" on it this week as a paid project.

I don't think I got quite as far as you did in all honesty. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Use VMWare Converter - easypeasy guys.

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

Once, again, I am not able to get that far.

The connections aren't really working correctly or I am surmizing this anyways.

Of course basic testing shows the connections (IP addys, routing trough switchs and firewalls) test out fine.

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I talked to VMware support and they stated VMotion across the datacenter is not compatible..

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

connect to site b from a via ip, and you are easy to go

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I talked to VMware support and they stated VMotion across the datacenter is not compatible..

If it's on shared storage, just shut the VM down, remove it from one datacenter, and add it to the other. If you need the VM up, why can't the VM simply stay where it's at?

Why can't you have everything under 1 Datacenter?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I can't migrate live VM to another DC? that sux, VC is 2.5

no, but you can do the 'ghetto' Migration. D/C the ESX host from the other datacenter, then remove it (yes you would lose your resource pools, but not the VM's). Then login to the ESX direct with VIC, and remove the Resource pools (and move the VM's to the root). Then add that ESX host to the DC with the VM you want to move, let it integrate, Vmotion the VM, then reverse the procedure to put it back.

It's not supported and it's tedious, but it works..... If you MUST move the VM live. I still say find a down time and do it the regular way, or just clone it across.

0 Kudos