VMware Cloud Community
vmwaredude1
Contributor
Contributor

Max luns in FC

Folks,

Can you please confirm the max luns in FC.

1) During Installation ESX server sees max - 128 LUNS

2) During booting Vmkernel can see max - 256 Luns

3) If, we have more luns, we need to use the rescan option after ESX server has completely booted. -

> I am not sure about this. But Pg10 Install and Configure VMware course book for Storage has mentioned this point. I think, i am interpreting it wrong but again, not sure.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> 1) During Installation ESX server sees max - 128 LUNS

The maximum is 256. not 128.

You can't see more than this no matter how many rescans you do.

0 Kudos
vmwaredude1
Contributor
Contributor

But, I still think, during installation it is 128. Can you please confirm this.

At least you have answered my other question that it cannot see more than 256 luns.

Thanks

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

you are correct. 128 can only be seen by the installer. once installed esx can see 256 LUNS (FC/iSCSI/NFS)

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

sounds like someone is getting ready for there test

0 Kudos
vmwaredude1
Contributor
Contributor

yes sir you are right, I really need that certificate.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

i just passed mine on Dec 28/07 which is why this kind of stuff is fresh Smiley Happy

Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

been a little while for me but still have some of it up there Smiley Happy

0 Kudos