VMware Cloud Community
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

MSCS with Server 2008 on ESX 3.5

Does anyone know when we'll be able to cluster Server 2008 VMs on ESX? I know it's no officially supported but if anyone has any (non-supported) guides, I'd appreciate a look!

Cheers

Jon

0 Kudos
3 Replies
djciaro
Expert
Expert

VMware might say that with Vmotion, HA and DRS we have more than enough for servers running Windows Server 2008. I would saythat it will be a while before we see an offical guide such as the 2003 MSCS Guide ()

I found an interesting article about 2008 clusters on MS Virtual server 2005 (if you looking at testing in a lab environment)

Also the validation wizard (part of the Failover Cluster Management snap-in) will help for setting up a Cluster:

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! :smileygrin:

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks - useful stuff.

Jon

0 Kudos
pgerritse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HA provides stateless failover, which with a little fantasy could make up for the statefull failover of MSCS. But what if you want to use MSCS active/active in order to keep performance scalable?

I heard that Windows 2008 uses SCSI3 commands for its clustering, and these command are not supported by the virtual scsi adapters in ESX3.5 update2, therefor an Windows 2008 cluster is impossible. Can someone confirm this?

0 Kudos