VMware Cloud Community
lewinr
Contributor
Contributor

MSA1000 with Active/Active controllers on ESX3

Hi

Is there any definitive answer if ESX3.0.2 supports active/active controllers on a MSA1000 with firmware 7.0?

I've searched all documents on HP and VMWARE sites and found nothing that explicitly states it is supported.

However, I have found these threads in which people report using this configuration:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/620570

Is anybody out there using an MSA1000 this way?

Thanks

Ron

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
lewinr
Contributor
Contributor

hmmmm.... does the silence mean that nobody is using this configuration?

0 Kudos
lewinr
Contributor
Contributor

Some more research on this:

The "HP StorageWorks 1000/1500cs Modular Smart Arrays Compatibility Guide for Dual Active Controllers Only" published in Feb 2007 (seems to be the last version) located here says only show compatiblity for the MSA1500 and says "(8) VMware certification for the MSA1000 is in progress and expected this quarter."

So based on that we should assume the MSA1000 is not supported/certified.

However, the HP SAN Design Reference Guide published in Sept 2007 located at shows in Table 91 (VMWARE ESX San Rules) on page 178 shows compatibility for ESX 3.0.1 for the "MSA1X00 A/A". This would indicate it is supported.

Furthermore, HP have also published the "HP StorageWorks 1000/1500 Modular Smart Array application note: Migrating to active/active controllers in Vmware environments" located at which gives step by step instructions for doing the update to active/active under ESX3 and does not mention any limitation for using it on the MSA1000.

It seems like the only clear answer will come from somebody who is using it (or has tried to use it). I hate to experiment with production systems and we don't have any spare MSA1000 with dual controllers for a test system...

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

I have just checked a compatibility matrix from mid-october 2007 and it says that ESX V3.0.0, 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 are supported on A/A with Firmware V7.0.

lewinr
Contributor
Contributor

that is helpful, thanks. I assume it explicitly states the MSA1000, correct? Could you post a link to the matrix?

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

The support is for the MSA1000 and the MSA1500cs. I am sorry, but I cannot post a link. This is from a portal that requires authorized access.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi - see pg 187 of this HP doco regarding the support. Active/Active is supported in a heterogenous array with version 7.0 firmware.

I hope this helps....

0 Kudos
JoshRDA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I currently have two seperate VI3.5 systems running on MSA1000 with Active/Active.

The only issue i found was when a storage processor is replaced or installed some VM's reboot (ie: loose connectivity with the SAN).

I am currently working on this issue with HP.

Josh

0 Kudos
ErikCarlseen
Contributor
Contributor

I've run ESX 3.0.2 and 3.5 successfully with 7.0 in Active/Active.

0 Kudos
blublurr13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all I am looking into purchasing a HP MSA1000 with Dual Controllers to run an Active/Active setup. How do you guys like your MSA1000 and how is the performance on it compared to lets say an EMA AX100/150? I am looking for a solution that is Fiber based and that will provide me with descent performance and expandibility in the future.1-2 years before upgrade to something enterprise class.

How is the reliablity on the HP MSA1000?

0 Kudos
JoshRDA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mate,

I have found the MSA1000 performance on a 14Disk RAID0+1 to be acceptable but its performance with two 6 disk RAID5's each with a hotswap to be extreamly poor.

Overall the san has many limitations including having only Ultra160 not Ultra320!!!!

Its also very limited in its ability for diagnostics / fault detection.

Expandability, well performance is not great with the one Drive Array enclosure, i perosnally wouldnt try adding a 2nd array onto the unit, nor would i attach more than 2 maybe 3 hosts to it.

I personally would look elsewhere, the EMC AX150 i think is a better choice although only SATA hard disks. Depends on your application if that will be an issue or not.

Reliability, i have had two faulty backplanes, a faulty FC switch, 2 faulty Storage controllers and HP support to be honest was ordinary at best.

Josh

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

MSA1000 is end of life and sucks at throughput beyond 3 ESX hosts. It works but just does not scale. Have also tested the AX150i and CX3-10. Best of the lot is the CX3-10 and -20 but they are pricy. Bottomline, test, test, test. Oh, and if using VCB.... Stay away from MSA line completely.

0 Kudos