VMware Cloud Community
roliver1
Contributor
Contributor

Lost Virtual Machine when i used "Convert to Template..."

Hello... I created and sysprep a VM to clone when creating new VMs... works great... as i learn more about ESX i thought i would convert the VM to a template... i am not sure what happened... i am used to when there in dots ... after a feature it would pop up a dialog box to give more options... as "Convert to Template..." indicates. Apparently that isn't the case with VMWare... when i click on Convert to Template my VM disappeared and the task became queued... nothging else happened and now my VM is gone... i can see the VM is still on the disk but has no name...

How can i get the VM back?

I do have limited permissions... in other words i am not an administrator for the Virtual Center... Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Click on the Inventory button in upper left corner and change your view to Virtuale Machines and Templates then schould be visible. If not try to browse the datastore on you ESX to the folder with the same name as your VM_name.vmx file and add i t to your inventory.

-Pål-André

-Pål-André
roliver1
Contributor
Contributor

I did go to invetory and change the listing to "Virtual machines and Templates" but it did not show up in the list... i tried your second suggestion and thought this was going to work but it errored with a Register VM "The specified key, name, or idetifier already exists"... i tried differents names but still get the same error... i did think this was going to work... great information...

Any other suggestions? i have a feeling i am going to have to get someone with more priviledges than i to correct this... thanks!

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums - A template is nothing more than a virtual machine marked not to power on - the issue comes in is it only shows up in two place one when you change the inventory view to Virtual Machines and Templates or you can find it when on the Hosts and Clusters view under the virtual machine tab for the entire inventory, datacenter or host -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Try registering the template on the other ESX server by browsing the datastore. In case if that doesn't work try restarting VC. Make sure you register the template with some different name.

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos