VMware Cloud Community
jketron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lost Lun help needed

I am not quite sure why a LUN is not longer being presented, what we did do was get the lun re-presented and now it just shows up in the "add storage" tab it also tells me that if I add it that it will format it.

Can I re-add this lun without formatting it? I want to recover the VM's that are on this LUN.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If the LUN is still there and presented to that ESX host you should just be able to do a rescan on the storage adapters section for it to re-appear

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
jketron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it was not that easy, I wish

I did do the changes to the LVM properties as seen in other posting and rescanned, the lun came back but with the prefix of snap-000000002-LUN. This is not the orginal name, I tried to rename it and it says that name already exists. I need to update where ESX thinks it sees the disks at so I can either delete what it thinks it sees in some config file or modify the ID so they match

0 Kudos
jketron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WHere is the config file that has what disk names it thinks it has? for example the SAN lun names you give them when you added them. I got the disk back but it is prefixed now and I want to rename it back to the old name and it states it already exisits. I want to edit this file to remove that name. Rescanning doesn't help

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have other hosts that share this LUN also? You can not rename that datastore until any vm that is referencing that location is been updated to the new name. Meaning, go to the vm's that were registered on that datastore, remove them from inventory. Then, once they have all been removed, you should be able to rescan and then ultimately rename it to what you want it to be. Then, you can go back and re-add all of the vm's back into inventory.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Jeff11173
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using an EMC Clariion SAN?

0 Kudos
jketron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll try that tomorrow about the removing the bad VM names that point to the old datastore name.

I do think we are using a EMC Clarion...is there something special I should be doing if so?

0 Kudos
Jeff11173
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen the LUN show up as a snap and not mount properly in EMC Clariion SANs if they are presented to the server in a different order than the other servers. That will usually only happen if you have a separate storage group for each ESX server.

If that is the case, then you need to either make sure that they are listed in the same order in the storage groups or, if they are not boot from SAN LUNS, then simply put all of the servers and all of the shared LUNs in the same storage group.

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do not rename this LUN it opens up all matter of issues.

You have not represented the LUN with the same LUN ID as it was originally formatted on so you need to represent with the original ID.

0 Kudos