VMware Cloud Community
ewedemeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for a simple way to script post installation tasks

I need to create many of the same configurations on multiple servers - such as:

Virtual switches,portgroups,vlans, etc..

I would like to place these in a "simple" script and am not familiar with Linux scripting.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can access your web browser and login and generate a .cfg file of all standardize configurations and start from there and also use Ultimate Deployment Appliance or others on appliance page. you can search on this forum for "kickstart install" keyword it will show up tons of good script. Or you can read this script

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

If you have fairly large ESX hosts, you can use V-Deployment tools that does it for you in Excel spreadsheet and use deployment appliance feature liked to install exact settings per your configuration.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

most of what you are looking to do can be done with simple esxcfg- commands.

Here are a couple good links you may want to look at.

http://vmware-land.com/esxcfg-help.html

http://b2v.co.uk/b2vguide2vmware3.htm

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Hello ewedemeyer,

Here is a script I use after initial ESX installation.

Hope this helps