VMware Cloud Community
vboulytchev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Licensing Question... Foundation/SAN

Guys,

If I purchase the Foundation Acceleration Kit, Will it allow me to use my existing SAN (fc or iscsi)?

What if i just bought a single Foundation License ($995)... Can I use the SAN?

http://store.vmware.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=vmwar...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, it includes VC, which gives you the templates functionality.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All editions alllow use of shared storage.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

vboulytchev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Matt,

So the Virtual Center is not required? Without the VC, does the interface allow for templates, snapshots, etc?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VC is not required for SAN access - that is controlled by the ESX Server as is snapshots - VC IS REQUIRED for templates, vmotion, DRS, HA just to name a few things

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
vboulytchev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!!!

This answers most of my questions Smiley Happy

Does the Foundation license give you the option to make templates?

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, it includes VC, which gives you the templates functionality.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

0 Kudos
vboulytchev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANKS!!!

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

as an asside the purchace of the foundation kits will be end of life on 21st of May, I would carefully investigate the new options, in my opinion they are not as usefull. if you can buy your foundation now.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
vboulytchev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh, so no more Foundation Kits after May huh. Is this when the vsphere 4 licensing takes over? Where can we RTFM about that Smiley Happy Does anyone have the pricing PDF? Which is probably useless, just like the current vi3 pricing pdf Smiley Sad

I would not be asking these questions here, if the answers were in a wiki somewhere Smiley Happy

Thanks Guys!!!

0 Kudos