VMware Cloud Community
AdamBNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Licensing Issue on ESX 3.5

Im having an issue on an ESX 3.5 host. I am running VC. Whenever I start a VM from VC the ESX host looks for the licensing server and returns "unable to change the license state as the license server is unavailable. I have VC on a VM. I moved the license server to a different host off of the VM, and I still receive the error. I can telnet from a windows box to the licensing server on 27000 and 27010. Any Ideas? Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdamBNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed it, Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
DDunaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For the benefit of anyone else having this problem (Me). could you please post your resolutoin to this problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AdamBNYC
Contributor
Contributor

I actually had to issue a service mgmt-vmware restart on the ESX host. I tried everything I could think of before I tried this. I checked to make sure I was allowing 27000 and 27010 through the esx firewall. Keep in mind that if you issue this command, it will shut down and restart the VM's on this host. I dont know how this would play in a multiple host enviroment, This is only a staging enviroment with a single ESX host.

0 Kudos
Vinkie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I lost my licensing server completely and when I try to revert to 'Evaluation period' it still looks for the 'dead' license server and cannot change the state.

Doing the "service mgmt-vmware restart" does not change anything. Where else can I look?

0 Kudos