VMware Cloud Community
matt_uog
Contributor
Contributor

License Server using wrong IP address

Hi,

I've installed the License Server (from the Virtual Infrastructure v3.0 installation media) on a server that has 3 network interfaces. How can I specify which ethernet address and ip address that the license server starts up on? I've gone into the VMware License Server Tools and it lists the hostid settings, but I cannot change any of them...

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
3 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Before test it save your original license file.

Stop the "License server" in Lmtools.

In the license file you will see the entry "SERVER this_host ANY 27000".

You can change "this_host" with your ip address and then start the License server.

In directory c:programms\vmware\vmware license server\docs you can find the explanation to this entry "SERVER..."

Test it on your own risk !

0 Kudos
matt_uog
Contributor
Contributor

It seems even though lmtools lists the ethernet address and ip address, it does not mean that that is the only one the license server is listening on.

I think my problem was related to a corrupted license server installation. I completely uninstalled the license server and reinstalled it and now it works fine; I can connect to it from my esx server and can grab a license, even though the license server is still listing the ethernet and ip address that is not actually accessible from my esx server.

Matt

0 Kudos
micho1492
Contributor
Contributor

Hi christian,

I was trying to change "this_host" in the license file by an Ip address as you recommended but, I got an error, should I use a specific format for this?? Also, I couldn't find that in the documentation.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos