VMware Cloud Community
PTEastvale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LUN expansion on a HP MSA 2012i for VMWARE 3.5 Update 3

I have 5 ESX 3.5 Update 3 servers in a cluster with a HP MSA 2012i backend storage (iSCSI). 1TB has been allocated to VMware and it has been running for a while. I just purchased a bunch of additional drives and would like to expand the LUN to 2TB in the MSA. What is the recommended way to do this?

1) Set up a new 1TB LUN and use add extent in VMWare to create a single logical volume?

2) Expand the LUN in MSA from 1TB to 2TB and hope VMware can recognize the new LUN? Not sure if i have to reformat this VMFS volume in VMware.

Let me know. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't think you should expand the LUN unless you have very large vmdk files. Too many VM's (15-20+ range) on a single LUN can end up creating to many SCSI reservation conflicts.

I would just create 1TB LUN's for the VM's.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

"Set up a new 1TB LUN and use add extent in VMWare to create a single logical volume" is the only way you can expand the VMFS datastore.

You might want to create a separate VMFS datastore, that way if one LUN fails when using extents you will not lose the whole thing. As the MSA2000 systems have been a little twitchy that is what I would recommend (2 seperate datastores.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Option 1) is the way to do it - by adding an extent -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't think you should expand the LUN unless you have very large vmdk files. Too many VM's (15-20+ range) on a single LUN can end up creating to many SCSI reservation conflicts.

I would just create 1TB LUN's for the VM's.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos