VMware Cloud Community
miikkeeb
Contributor
Contributor

LUN connection

I just got my VMWare setup a couple weeks ago by Dell. At the time I did not have a LUN ready to present to it but I was told I could go ahead and create a couple servers and just use the HD on my 2 ESX boxes until I present the LUN and then I could migrate it all to the LUN. Well I just got my LUN presented the other day. I go through my console and do the add storage and I get to this one spot in the wizzard that has me concerned. It says "Warning: The current disk layout will be destroyed. All file systems and data will be lost permanently." Now if I did not have these 2 servers created already I would not be concerned if it scrubbed anything but since I do and I have critical data on them I am concerned. I don't want it to destroy the ESX boxes and whipe out those 2 servers. If it scrubs my LUN I don't care. Can any one tell me if it is just talking about scrubbing my LUN or will it blow away the 2 virtual servers I have already created?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

As long as you are selecting the LUN to format, not the local storage, it will not wipe out the local storage items.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
miikkeeb
Contributor
Contributor

I am assuming that I will be given that option once I get down to the formatting portion in the wizzard? Right now I am only at the Current Disk layout in the wizzard.

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander

go to "Storage configuration-add storage-select your newly attached LUN-confirm the volume-give it a name" job done. it will only show you the un-formatted LUNs, you'll only delete your VMs if you select your internal disk and re-label.

Once you have labelled your LUN power down the VMs on the local storage-right click-Migrate and select move VM config files to new datastore.

0 Kudos