VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LUN Space

I have couple of LUNs which has over 100GB available space and some of them VM's are already running in them as well, but my question is If I put a new VM in existing LUN which has 100GB space available, so will I run into any issue? I am sure I wouldnt, but I wanted to check with you to make sure it will not cause any problem with my existing VM's which are located in that LUN.

We are running high space in our SAN and trying to compress LUN's as much as we can.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you typically want to leave around 15 - 20% free space to allow for snapshot growth. Also, keep an eye on disk I/O. Just because a LUN has free space doesn't necessarily mean it's the best option.

I say continue to monitor your IOPS and you should be good, but still leave yourself some free space.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you typically want to leave around 15 - 20% free space to allow for snapshot growth. Also, keep an eye on disk I/O. Just because a LUN has free space doesn't necessarily mean it's the best option.

I say continue to monitor your IOPS and you should be good, but still leave yourself some free space.

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

we really dont use snapshot.

0 Kudos