VMware Cloud Community
Ub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Kickstart question

when I create a ks.cfg file with the scripted installer it adds the enty:

firewall --disabled

however the firewall is not disabled. Any ideas why this is here ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hiya,

My understanding is that it is just a hangover from the Redhat kernel that the Service Console is based on.

VMware have stripped out the standard RedHat firewall - but they seem to have forgotten to take out the kickstart option that used to specify it.

Confused me no end when I first looked at ESX and kickstart.

Dinny

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

compare your script to this one, hope it helps..

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=733191&tstart=0

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX scripted installation use the RHE kickstart file format to perform the installation.

To get more information about kickstart options you may refer to RHE installation guide.

For the ESX firewall the best way to disable it (don't forget that is not recommended by VMware) is to had ont the post section command line using "esxcfg-firewall" to disable it.

0 Kudos
Ub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ahh I don't think I made myself clear, I don't want to disable the firewall. I was just wondering why this entry was there as it is confusing since it does not disable the firewall

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hiya,

My understanding is that it is just a hangover from the Redhat kernel that the Service Console is based on.

VMware have stripped out the standard RedHat firewall - but they seem to have forgotten to take out the kickstart option that used to specify it.

Confused me no end when I first looked at ESX and kickstart.

Dinny

0 Kudos