VMware Cloud Community
southpaw
Contributor
Contributor

Kernel panic: Fatal exception on nvidia 680i chipset/quad core/esx 3.5 install... HELP!

So I decided to bite the bullet and install 3.5 and sit down to install it on a nice quad core (core 2 duo) Q6600 processor, 8GB ram, 300GB of ultra320 scsi to start with...

During the install of aic79xx driver i get

Oops: 0000

CPU: 0

EIP 0060: blah blah blah (not tainted)

Call Trace info

Kernel panic: Fatal exception

In interrupt handler - not synching

anyone??? bueller??

0 Kudos
3 Replies
southpaw
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: So, in browsing around the community and also google i found that some would type debug at the install prompt it would bypass this error.. it did for me as well.. i was able to get past the kernel panic and since it was happening during the display of loading the aic79xx driver i figured ther emight be a driver problem... install got to the drive i wanted to install ESX to and showed my 15krpm 38gb drive just fine... sitting now watching the paint dry at 87% complete... will post more after reboot (crossing fingers, toes, hair, etc)

No BIOS updates for my motherboard... i was hoping to use this nvidia 680i board with a quad core and 8gb ram and that would allow me to buy something 'newer' on the motherboard front (like a 780i chipset) board...

just saw a red character message saying to use noapic during the first boot... i am seeing

Loading vmklinux

Loading configuration

1.vmkernel succeeded

Loading VMkernel forcedeth.o (options: '')

and it is just sitting there

0 Kudos
DArndt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you use the degub option to install noapic will be appended to your boot parameters, you can disable it if your chipset works properly without noapic. I am running 3.5 on a Sun Ultra 40M2 and had similiar issues when installing.

Dave

southpaw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks... got through that but things just sit there now showing it sucessfully loaded the vmkernel and then it appears to be loading the nvidia drivers... i had a 570 chipset board that run ESX 3.01 just fine... was hoping that the 680i would work as well... i can actually just go pickup a cheap 570i board and stick this 39320 adaptec in it and some ram to start my testing... would actually save me a TON of $$$ anyway...

thx

0 Kudos