VMware Cloud Community
andyma5
Contributor
Contributor

Issue with VMWare converter 3.03 and ESX Server 3.5

I'm trying to convert my Vmware server 1.* VM's for use on our two esx servers but I am running into issues. It works perfectly fine when the destination for the VM is the local hard disk of the ESX server, but when I try to use an NFS mount instead it doesn't work. It gets to approximately 2% then I get the following error

Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.PlatformError)

I'm using VMware converter 3.03 and esxserver 3.5

-logged in as local admin

-tried using IP of esx server

-maintain disk size

-the nfs share is a 1.5gb scsi volume

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

How big is your vm? I don't think you can run converter to an NFS datastore using thin provisioning, so you have to have the full space available.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
andyma5
Contributor
Contributor

My VM is pretty small at 16gb. Another thing, if i install the VM over the network (using cd rom drive and media) onto the nfs share it works fine as well. Oh and rereading my original post I meant to say 1.5TB not GB... my bad

Andy

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I know I've seen a similar issue before, but I can't seem to recall which thread it was in. What NFS server are you using?

-KjB

0 Kudos
andyma5
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using a windows server 2003 NFS share

More info that may help: After the converter fails, if I go onto the esx server the VM shows up in the inventory but when it starts up it gives an error about how the disk was created as an IDE disk with ide disk geometry, and that it may run into issues running on a scsi disk. I don't know if it only shows this error because VMware converter didn't get far enough in the converter process to convert the disk geometries or what, but who knows it may be useful.

Thanks for your help

Andy

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I thought that would be it. There are issues with NFS 2003 server as the backend. See thread here as well: http://communities.vmware.com/message/944993

Open an SR wih vmware, and post back any resolutions.

-KjB

0 Kudos