VMware Cloud Community
mikes1p
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any significant difference between ESX Server 3i or ESX Server 3.5?

I have a Foundation license that allows either Vi3 or ESX 3.5 to be used, we have new a Dell 2950 and a 2900 to install onto, however Vi3 install hangs on the 2900. I found out the 2900 is not yet on the Vi3 HCL but it is on the 3.5 HCL so that is what I will be installing for now. But I am wondering if there is any compelling reason to use Vi3, enough that I should get the right hardware and use Vi3 instead of 3.5?

What is the difference between these two flavors for system performance and future patching/update simplicity? I know that 3i is "thinner" and intended to be used for OEM's as embedded server appliance OS

Thanks

Mike S

0 Kudos
5 Replies
raadek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mike,

First of all, I believe you are mixing two terms: ESX 3i is the embedded version & either you have it with the box, or not (well, potentially you can fire it up from an USB stick).

"Proper" (installable) versions are: the latest one VI 3.5 or previous one VI 3.0.x (i just found that VMware to make us all more confused is using ESX 3 term to describe ALL installable versions & ESX 3i is the label for the embedded one - http://www.vmware.com/products/vi/esx/esx3i.html )

If you licence cover both, then just go & install 3.5, which is the 'latest & greatest', instead of 3.0.x which hangs.

Rgds.

mikes1p
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply

I guess I should have been more clear, I can download and install VMware ESX Server 3i Installable 3.5 or ESX Server 3.5. I actually have 3i 3.5 running fine on the PE2950 (latest build 70348), install was cake. Then I hit the install road block on the 2900 so if I go with ESX 3.5 I will reinstall the 2950. I just want to make sure I don't make the wrong choice and hear "you shoulda installed Vi3" in 6 months

Mike S

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

A few things to consider

1) If you're using to using the service console that's not available with 3i. There is the remote command line interface (Linux/Windows install or VM appliance) but it doesn't have the full functionality of the 3.5 console.

2) If you're using something like Dell Openmanage, then at this point there is no support for 3i.

3) HA is currently listed as being only experimentally supported on 3i.

4) Backup apps like esXpress and vRanger Pro don't support 3i yet.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

This document outlines the differences:

https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vi_pricing3.pdf

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> First of all, I believe you are mixing two terms: ESX 3i is the embedded version & either you have it with the box, or not (well, potentially you can fire it up from an USB stick).

actually 3i comes in 2 flavors embedded AND installable. The Embedded is done by the OEM and installed with the machine, and for support you have to go through to OEM, because it's a modified version pre-installed with drivers to work with the vendor hardware.

You can download the 3i installable, but it's only supported on the Dell 2950 currently.

0 Kudos