VMware Cloud Community
jerkychew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is NFS supported as remote storage for ESX 3.x?

I've seen mention of NFS on these forums but I'm trying to find an official 'yay' or 'nay' and so far have come up empty. Here's my issue:

We have some systems running ESX server but we can't fit any more guests on the servers due to lack of space. The hardware has no option for fiber or iSCSI. We'd like to NFS mount some external storage and use that for subsequent guest machines. Is this officially supported by VMWare and if so, can somebody point me to documentation?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

NFS is supported

See the Server Config Guide page 125

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

NFS is supported

See the Server Config Guide page 125

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it is - more specifically Version 3 over TCP - and you will need to insure your ESX hosts have root level access to the datastore so you need to make sure no_root_squah parameter is set on the NFS datastore -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
jerkychew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome, thanks for the info. That server config document is exactly what I need.

0 Kudos