VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Introducing new Dell R910 into R900 HA/DRS Cluster

We are about to purchase an new Dell R910 server and make it a part of our existing R900 ESX cluster. However, I am being told that there will be some issues doing that. We have all ESX3.5 hosts. Can anyone tell me what might the issue be in inserting a Dell R910 into an existing Dell R900 cluster? Sorry, I don't have anymore than that information.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Processor will be different, so to use VMotion and DRS you must enable EVC at cluster cluster.

Check with update version do you have cause EVC was only from 3.5U2.

I suggest to update all your node to the last 3.5 U version.

Or update to vSphere.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. We are at 3.5Update5. So, with EVC active, we should be able to insert the R910 into the R900 cluster. Any reason to shutdown the hosts in the cluster to insert the R910? Am now being told that we'll have to do that.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If the host has no guests on it, AFAIK, if you already have an active EVC cluster, there is no reason to shutdown the ESX Host before adding it into the EVC cluster.

pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Troy,

The R910 that we plan to introduce will be empty. So, I should be able to just select my R900 cluster (I'll disable DRS first) and then select "Add host"...at least, that's what I've been doing previously. Correct?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

The R910 that we plan to introduce will be empty. So, I should be able to just select my R900 cluster (I'll disable DRS first) and then select "Add host"...at least, that's what I've been doing previously. Correct?

correct

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

The problem could be on existing R900, if EVC is not already enable in the cluster.

In this case you can create a new cluster and follow this steps:

http://malaysiavm.com/blog/how-to-enable-evc-on-esx-35/

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Andre,

As it turns out, you are correct. Our cluster does not have EVC currently active. Thanks for the link. However, just a thought.....

Since the R900 cluster has 3 R900 in it, what if I did the following instead:

1. Create a new cluster with EVC enabled

2. First, live migrate all the VMs off of the first of the three hosts. When that Host is empty, remove it from the cluster and add it to the new cluster that has EVC enabled.

Could I then live migrate the VMs back onto the original host which is now part of the new EVC cluster? If so, then I can do the same for each succeeding host in the R900 cluster with the final VMs on the last host migrated to the one of the r900 hosts on the new cluster then continue to remove the last remaining host and adding it to the new cluster.

Once all the hosts are on the new cluster, I could then add the R910 to it. Note: I presume it would not be feasible for me to add the R910 to the new cluster then vMotion across the VMs from one of the R900 hosts, correct?

Would this work?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

2. First, live migrate all the VMs off of the first of the three hosts. When that Host is empty, remove it from the cluster and add it to the new cluster that has EVC enabled.

All of this is good, however, you can disconnect / remove a host and LEAVE the VM's running. That's all you have to do. Remove them from one cluster, and add them to the other cluster... Simple.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you can't add a host to an EVC cluster with running VM's. Add an empty host and then vmotoining the guests in will work though. See Andre's link above, it has step by step.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

you can't add a host to an EVC cluster with running VM's

I am not sure about that.. I am almost 100% certain I did it.. You can't CHANGE it to EVC with the VM's running but you can ADD a hosts to a EVC cluster... I am pretty sure it can be done..

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I forgot about that. Better idea.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Troy, will check into it

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Troy, will check into it

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks. I forgot about that. Better idea.

Please verify that it works how I described it.. I need more credibility..haha..

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

A) that's ESX 3.5

B) I am CERTAIN we had a cluster with 3 ESX hosts, 300 VM's, and I am certain I did not power down 300 VM's just to move the hosts. Because it wasn't that big of a deal.. I would have left it, but given it was that easy I did it..

I created a new cluster, disconnected / removed the hosts, and added them to the new cluster just fine. I am like 99.999999% sure that's what I did.

did you read the kb or did you actually try it... They aren't the same thing.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Also what is weird is that article says the hosts MUST be in mainentance mode. That's definately not true, because I have a couple of EVC clusters, and I add Hosts to them, without putting them in maintenance mode first.. That one I know I did.

So if you can add a host LIVE that disputes the maintenance mode.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

did you read the kb or did you actually try it... They aren't the same thing.

both... but, in my lab, my hosts BIOS aren't ready.. I'll get to the datacenter today to enable VT and test again.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I agree, but EVC is a whole different game. I'm powering down and ESX Host now to test Smiley Happy

0 Kudos