VMware Cloud Community
scparker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing VMWare Tools

Hello,

I am pretty new to ESXi, although have had a little experience with VMWare. From what I understand I will need to install WMWare Tools to make the VMs mouse and interfacing a lot quicker. At present it is painfully slow.

From what I understand the VM needs to be powered on and you choose from the host menu to install the VMWare tools. I have chosento do that, but over 24hours later, it still attempts to install the WMWare tools. I am pretty sure it is not supposed to take that long and that there is something wrong somewhere. Unfortunately, I do not know where to start.

Has anyone had any experience of this and may be able to point me in the right direction please?

Sincerely,

scparker

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do other VM's have the same issue, or is it only this one you have tried?

If it's only this VM with the issue, power the VM off, remove the CDROM device from the virtual machine and re-add it and try again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Is it a Windows VM? If so, if you RDP to it or logon to the console do you see the vmware tools media mounted on the cdrom?

AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

"Install VMware tools" mounts CD with vmtools and starts installer. But then you have to open console and press some "Next" buttons, just as for any other program install.

---

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what is the operating system of your vm? Windows or Linux?

5441_5441.jpg

Craig

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
scparker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for the quick responses. It is a windows Server 2003 RS SP2 VM - and when i go to the console there is no CD that has been mounted and no application I can click next on. It just appears to do nothing at all.

I have also found that the host does not recognise ISO that are uploaded to the datastore . It will only recognise ISO that are attached using the client device. I find this very strange and somewhat frsutrating. It means using the client device makes installing software painfully slow as well.

Sincerely,

scparker

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do other VM's have the same issue, or is it only this one you have tried?

If it's only this VM with the issue, power the VM off, remove the CDROM device from the virtual machine and re-add it and try again.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Try to mount the windows.iso under vmimages and see if you are able to install the tools....

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
scparker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Co-Incidence. I have just tried the "Have you tried switching it off and on again?" approach and it worked. The VM restarted and then attempted to Install VMWare tools. The Image mounted to the CD drive correctly and I have been able to install the tools. So thank you all for your very quick responses.

Sincerely,

scparker

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Glad you got it working - have fun!

0 Kudos