VMware Cloud Community
tbeard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing Guest OS on a Windows NFS Datastore

I have successfully mounted and NFS datastore from a windows 2003 system using SFU.  I can read and write to the datastore without issue. I created a standard XP VM and was able to start it and boot from an ISO image however the install stops and says it can't find any hard drives to install XP on. The problem does not exist on local datastores.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The problem isn't NFS datastore, the problem is you need the buslogic drivers inside a VM to load the SCSI drivers, you can't start XP without on ANY filesystem. XP has no native SCSI controller drivers. So you have to load one from floppy image.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The problem isn't NFS datastore, the problem is you need the buslogic drivers inside a VM to load the SCSI drivers, you can't start XP without on ANY filesystem. XP has no native SCSI controller drivers. So you have to load one from floppy image.

0 Kudos
tbeard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. I thought it has been added to cd image I was using. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
tbeard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I used the floppy image that come with ESX and it was able to find the drive but it errors out on the format of the drive. Any idea why?

0 Kudos