VMware Cloud Community
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Installing FIX

I'm trying to install the FIX ESX 20663061

http://kb.vmware.com/vmtnkb/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2066306&sliceId=SAL_Public

but when I run esxupdate I got the following error

INFO: No repository URL specified, going with file:/var/updates/ESX-2066306

INFO: Configuring...

INFO: Preparing to install VMware ESX Server ESX-2066306...

INFO: 1 packages need to be downgraded.

What does it mean , which package should downgraded ?

I'm running ESX 3.01,34176

thanks for any input you may give

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GabbyIRL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is generally caused by installing patches in the wrong order. The message means that for the 1 package in the fix there is a higher version already installed. In the case of 2066306 this is the 'VMware-esx-vmx-3.0.1-35804.i386.rpm' package. Check your existing version as follows

rpm -qa | grep VMware-esx-vmx

and you'll find that the version is higher then the 35804 in the update, in my case it's 39823. You dont need to apply the patch in this case, and as it's the only package in the patch you can safely disregard the message.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
GabbyIRL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is generally caused by installing patches in the wrong order. The message means that for the 1 package in the fix there is a higher version already installed. In the case of 2066306 this is the 'VMware-esx-vmx-3.0.1-35804.i386.rpm' package. Check your existing version as follows

rpm -qa | grep VMware-esx-vmx

and you'll find that the version is higher then the 35804 in the update, in my case it's 39823. You dont need to apply the patch in this case, and as it's the only package in the patch you can safely disregard the message.

0 Kudos