VMware Cloud Community
hrishikumta
Contributor
Contributor

Installation of ESX 3.0 on normal desktop hardware.

I have a desktop with processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.61 GHz with 2GB of RAM.

when i booted the pc with ESX 3.0 CD i got started with the ESX installation.however later i got a message that "no hard drives found. select a driver from the list to continue". i tried to select all the drivers one by one.but could not load those drivers.Later when i proceeded with the installation i got a message "could not find supported network devices." n the pc rebooted. Can any1 plz tell me what network devices are reqd for the installation.If any1 has installed ESX 3.0 on normal desktop H/W can u tell me which device drivers to select during the installation.

thanks

hrishikesh

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ekner
Contributor
Contributor

Have a lookie on this link HCL you'll find the hardware compatibility guides and also the community whiteboxes (working but not supported) links .

0 Kudos
satishgte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

ESX server does not support all the hardware please check the hardware compatibility list :

http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/1032

otherwise install VMware server or workstation with your Destop and create a VM install ESX server how to do go to following links

http://vmblog.com/archive/2007/11/01/more-on-installing-vmware-esx-server-inside-a-workstation-6-vm....

thanks

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

What's your hardware details? What types of boards, disks and CPU do you have? It must be VT-enable on the BIOS and dual core CPU. Disks should be SATA and supported controllers. Search google for "VMware home lab" and it will pop up tons of good motherboard, CPU that works great for ESX testings.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Another solution to run ESX 3.x is your physical machine has to have VT-enable BIOS and install Windows OS on it and load VMware Workstation 6.5 on it and than create a VM ESX 3.x host and it should be good to go. Use www.xtravirt.com guide how to do this for details. Hopefully this is just for POC or testing lab.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos