VMware Cloud Community
raj07
Contributor
Contributor

Install esx 3.0 on vmware work station 6.0

Workstation 6.0 running on vista 32 bit . Had issues installed virtual center server on vista. So I have installed License server, VI client and virtual center on another win2k3 VM. Also installed esx server as per the Xtravirt doc. Now i can connect to the virtual center from infrastructure client. But i cannot connect to the esx server by any means. ( either in web interface by typing ( esxserver ip)or by the VI client. I tried creating another user in esx server thinking remote login of root may be disabled.

I dont get any descriptive error message . It says " Failed to connect"

dont know whether this is a license issue as the Virtual center license as given by the license server running on same machine. The Esx server license, i believe is to be pointed after getting connected to it by any means.

I followed the xtravirt document and have open all incomin and outgoing ports. Moreover the esx server is pretty slow inspite of allocating 512 mb for it during install. It takes more than 40 min to be up.

Have tried in another thread with some gurus. Now i have installed GoToMyPc on my laptop. If somebody willing to help me pls reply back , i will give you all access details.

Thanks

Raj

0 Kudos
4 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Can you give details about your current configurations? You install ESX 3.0.2 on top of WS 6.0 with Vista PC? You have 2 ESX 3.0.2 as a guest and 1 virtual center server on windows 2003?

1. Can you ping both ESX hosts and a virtual center server?

2. Can you connect to ESX host using Putty?

3. Is your IP addresses and DNS settings correct?

4. Your virtual network configurations correct?

5. Did you have any firewalls going on?

E-mail me when you have time for remote assistance but after hour only! Double check all your settings one more time.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Can you get to your ESX server form the VM hosting VC? This will determine if the problem is within the WS configuration or something else -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
raj07
Contributor
Contributor

No. I cannot get into by what ever means. Either from any other VM (including the VC VM) from the IE by typing http://192.168.0.9<http://192.168.0.9/>; or by using vi client.

0 Kudos
raj07
Contributor
Contributor

Configuration :ESX 3.0.2 on top of WS 6.0 with Vista PC. One ESX 3.0.2 as a guest and 1 virtual center server on windows 2003 Vms.

2) Can conncet with Putty. Root was access denied . so tested creating another user. Could login to the esx console .

3)esx host and license server have hosts file configured. Also license server was recently joined to a domain .When it was installed, it was not a part of domain.

4) use bridged networking on all vms. . All vms ping each other by ip and host names.The host also ping with the VMs

5) No firewalls configued on any hosts

Thanks

Raj

0 Kudos