VMware Cloud Community
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install ESX 3.0.1 on Dell 2650B

Trying to install ESX 3.0.1 on Dell PowerEdge 2650B by using DRAC and it's Virtual Floppy function. Doing as follows:

1. First specifying the \bootimages\bootdisk.img as virtual floppy and the ESX boot and shows bootscreen.

2. There I hit enter.

3. Then get to a page where I select language and then keyboard.

4. After that I get the question where I would like to install from. I get the choices, CDROM, NFS, HTTP, local disk etc.

5. In the DRAC I mount the Dell Virtual Floppy to use \bootimages\drvnet.img instead and choose the HTTP and then hit enter.

6. I get the choice to use driver image or manually choose drivers.

7. I choose driver image and then I can choose from where this should be installed, fd0 or hda.

8. It does not matter what I choose: fd0, hda, manually select drivers or driver disk. The only message returned is:

"Failed to mount driver disk " and I can see on the light on the server that it tries to find it on the local floppy drive, not the virtual.

How should I install ESX with the use of a Virtual Floppy in the DRAC? Can I somehow refresh the mount so it picks up the secondly defined image, \bootimages\drvnet.img?

If I put the drivers on a physical floppy and insert it into the server it works but I want to be able to do this by Virtual Floppy. All suggestions/ideas welcome.

Thanks

Marten

0 Kudos
3 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try renaming your boot floppy image from img to flp.

flp is at the moment the only valid extension for images

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Why are you using a floppy at all?

Just boot from the ESX CD on your local machine or attach the DRAC to an iso image of the CD. The latter is your best choice.

0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help gentlemen. First, it's not possible to use Virtual CD in 2650's, only floppys. Secondly there is a limit of 1.44 MB.

The reason why using this at all is that I'm trying to do a remote install. After some testing we have abandoned the idea and going with inserting a cd into cdrom drive.

0 Kudos