LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install ESX 3.0.1 on Dell 2650B

Trying to install ESX 3.0.1 on Dell PowerEdge 2650B by using DRAC and it's Virtual Floppy function. Doing as follows:

1. First specifying the \bootimages\bootdisk.img as virtual floppy and the ESX boot and shows bootscreen.

2. There I hit enter.

3. Then get to a page where I select language and then keyboard.

4. After that I get the question where I would like to install from. I get the choices, CDROM, NFS, HTTP, local disk etc.

5. In the DRAC I mount the Dell Virtual Floppy to use \bootimages\drvnet.img instead and choose the HTTP and then hit enter.

6. I get the choice to use driver image or manually choose drivers.

7. I choose driver image and then I can choose from where this should be installed, fd0 or hda.

8. It does not matter what I choose: fd0, hda, manually select drivers or driver disk. The only message returned is:

"Failed to mount driver disk " and I can see on the light on the server that it tries to find it on the local floppy drive, not the virtual.

How should I install ESX with the use of a Virtual Floppy in the DRAC? Can I somehow refresh the mount so it picks up the secondly defined image, \bootimages\drvnet.img?

If I put the drivers on a physical floppy and insert it into the server it works but I want to be able to do this by Virtual Floppy. All suggestions/ideas welcome.

Thanks

Marten

0 Kudos
3 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try renaming your boot floppy image from img to flp.

flp is at the moment the only valid extension for images

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Why are you using a floppy at all?

Just boot from the ESX CD on your local machine or attach the DRAC to an iso image of the CD. The latter is your best choice.

0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help gentlemen. First, it's not possible to use Virtual CD in 2650's, only floppys. Secondly there is a limit of 1.44 MB.

The reason why using this at all is that I'm trying to do a remote install. After some testing we have abandoned the idea and going with inserting a cd into cdrom drive.

0 Kudos