VMware Cloud Community
dobyrne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install Clarion Agent on esx 3 script

I am in the process in creating a uninstall installation for esx 3 and at a roadblock on how to run the clarion agent when it prompts for an answer yes twice. How do I get it to automatically say yes twice at both stages of the install phase. Attached is the install file. The script is:

any ideas?

1. Install Clarion Agent

mkdir /var/clarion_agent

cp --reply=yes /tmp/files/naviag/* /var/clarion_agent

chmod +x /var/clarion_agent/ESX_install.sh

/var/clarion_agent/ESX_install.sh naviagentcli

sleep 10

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you tried:

yes | scriptname.sh

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No 3rd party pathing or storage agents of that nature are supported on ESX OS yet. So you should not do this.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you tried:

yes | scriptname.sh

--Matt

0 Kudos
dobyrne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

excellent, works like a charm! thanks

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am not debating what will or will not work. Running an unapproved component on a system that is in effect a closed, appliance model? Now why would that be good thing? No. There are many things that do work on ESX, but should not be done. Who or whom do you want to trust? VMware? or 3rd party... well... again it is VMware. True, EMC is parent to VMware, but does anyone really agree that they do not disagree all the time? They do.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

And no one asked the question if it was a good idea, so why are you answering it?

Clearly, if the great VMWare did not deign to give us this, our management agents, we should not trespass against them. Gag me. If it works, and you can support yourself with it, so go ahead and install whatever you want. VMWare is not the be all end all when it comes to implmenting it in the real world.

--Matt

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey, I can quote best practices, there is nothing wrong with that. One should always follow the rules... cough, until there is a good reason no to do so. To each his own. However, VMware is the end all and be all when they tell you that your problem is an unapproved solution, not compliant, and they wash their hands of the issue. Wait, before anyone jumps on my comment as noted above... may he who is with out any customization of his/her respective ESX hosts throw the first binary rock! I am guilty of tweaking ESX beyond what VMware would ever recommend as well.

"if the great VMWare did not deign to give us this, our management agents, we should not trespass against them. Gag me" --We need to start a working list of these? No? LOL Quite sharespear-ish of you.

0 Kudos
dobyrne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thats guys for your imput though lets not get in the details of it all. I asked for some help got it and it worked perfectly. Need the agent due to a clarion san which needs to be managed by the san team. Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Excellent! And if VMware gripes, tell them to get 3rd party pathing implemented, etc., they have been promising it for 3 years now.