VMware Cloud Community
gavinrace
Contributor
Contributor

Initial Networking Issue (New ESX Installation)

Hello to you all,

I'm new to virtualisation, both in terms of hardware and software and have encountered what is probably an easy problem to resolve but seem unable to find the answers.

I'm also unsure whether I'm posting in the right area ...

I have a new HP Blade Enclosure c3000 with 2 GbE2c interconnect switches installed. I'm attempting to setup VMWare ESX on a HP blade (BL460 G1) in device bay 1. I've followed most of the defaults through the ESX server setup and specified an IP address on the local LAN. However, when I attempt to connect to the server via a web browser, it cannot find the server.

I've plugged a cable in port 21 (2) on the first GbE2c switch as I believe I'm supposed to but there are no lights on this switch for that port (or any other).

I wasn't sure whether this was an ESX problem or an issue with the way I'd setup up the blade switches/enclosure.- either way, some pointers in the right direction would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gavin.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Your networking is probably at fault here. Log into the console through iLO, either ESX/ESXi, both should allow you to test your network. For ESX, press Alt-F1, and login as root, then ping your gateway. For ESXi, go into configuration, and you should be able to run the test management network to ping your gateway. This will check from an ESX perspective whether there is a network seen or not.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
rabih_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you probably have a pas thru module installed on that enclosyure, and not a switch. login to the OA no that chassis, and check which port you should plug into to get to the server ni bay 1. I would suspect port number one on that module.

Good luck

0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert

one more thing to check after the hardware configuration - would be if your connections are put in a vlan on the physical switch port side.

By default, the service console connection on the vswtitch would not be in a vlan unless you specified that during the install.

if you can go in thru the ilo, run esxcfg-nics -l to show whether your service console sees your nics as connected physically.

0 Kudos