VMware Cloud Community
zeetalk
Contributor
Contributor

Importing an appliance VM that was downloaded previously

Hi All,

I am having problems importing an appliance that I downloaded into my ESXi.

I have downloaded the virtual appliance of Groundworksopensource Monitoring tool in a zipped format, unzi[pped it into a number of VM files as follows:

6 files of *.vmdk

vmx file

2 files vmsd

nvram file.

If I use the Import function I end up with 3 options and non of them applies here, the server starts looking for ovf file.

If I Create a new VM and chose the custom option i again end up with 3 options. I chose the "Do not create Disk" and then started uploading the files manually into the folder that was created. but that doesn't seem to be working either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert

If you have already uploaded those files to the datastore, if you right click the VMX file and "Add To Inventory" does that work?

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could try Vmware converter 4 stanalone

http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/

0 Kudos
zeetalk
Contributor
Contributor

When I right click on the VMX file and "Add to Inventory" it creates the folder fine and when i start the VM it asks whether or not i need to create a uniqe ID which I what i go for and then i get an Internal Error everytime. Maybe i should use the standalone converter...

0 Kudos
zeetalk
Contributor
Contributor

the error message in the logs say "Failed to open disc scsi0:0, unsupported and/or invalid disc type 7, Did you forget to import the disk first? Unable to create virtual scsi disk..."

It seems that the disc type built-in the VM files doesn't match with the actual physical disk that i have on the ESXi server. I remember having to edit some files from IDE to SCSI when i was installing ESXi to get it to install.

0 Kudos
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Must be your VM appliance not supporting SCSI driver because VMware only support SCSI not IDE

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
0 Kudos
aztechy
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem and I've tried everything here and still can't figure it out :S

0 Kudos