VMware Cloud Community
Ub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IBM HS21 8853 scripted build problem

I'm trying to deploy esx 3.5 to some HS21 blades using a scripted install the script works fine for 3.02 however I suspect that the NIC drivers are missing from 3.5 since it does not get a DHCP lease and connect to the web server to get the config.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Some else is wrong, we just finished our initial HS2x certification, we did not have any issues with the same kickstart script from 3.0.2 Update1 to 3.5. Can you post your script?

0 Kudos
Ub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have discovered the cause of the problem. We have the blade I/O expansion units attached and so have 4 nics.

on 3.02 the build was set to use ksdevice=eth0, however now in 3.5 we have to specify this as eth2 ??,It's the same physical NIC, just enumerated differently now during bootup. Once I'ts built the vmnics are bound to the correct interfaces.

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

What is the lspci output? Enumeration of PCI bus IS VERY ODD at times with ESX OS. However, VMNIC0, or vswif0 should always be the first enumerated NIC port and the lspci output should always indicate which physical port it is by PCI id/function.

0 Kudos